• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark-bellied Brent Goose (Island of Texel, Netherlands, March 27 2021) (1 Viewer)

Frank-birding

Frank van de Velde
Supporter
Last weekend when observing Brent Geese on Texel (Waddensea side) I saw 2 or 3 very light-coloured individuals in the midst of a large group of "appropriately" dark looking Dark-bellied Brent Goose.

At first I assumed that I was observing Pale-bellied Brent Goose. But later I started to doubt. Although I feel that the contrast between black breast and pale belly would be great enough for Pale-bellied, I also distinguish contrast between the rear of the belly (between the legs) and the white undertail coverts. I read that in Pale-bellied Brent Geese the pale belly should gradually morph into the white of the under tail, without a visible separation between the color shade of belly and tail.

So "my" birds doesn't seem to be Pale-bellied. But still, they appear to me as very (too?) light for regular Dark-Bellied. Am I dealing with hybrids? Is it just individual variation, or very worn birds?

I'd love to know a bit more, any help would be much appreciated.

Bye, Frank

Attachments

• 20210327-124934_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3363.jpg
    20210327-124934_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3363.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210327-124937_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3364.jpg
    20210327-124937_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3364.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 24
Hello Frank,
interesting bird, thanks for sharing. Such slightly, but clear paler birds are sometimes mixed in between Dark-bellied BG, and I have allways identified them as Dark-bellied BG before.
The few Pale-bellied BG I saw and could id as such, where slightly paler-bellied birds with clear whitish areas on the (rear) flanks (white areas on variable extent, but allways present).
But there were a few birds where I hoped that an experienced birder was standing next to me and helped me with a confident identification and some explanation (same situation as in larger Gulls or Skuas).
And I see, that your pictures are very slightly overexposed, exagereting the pale flanks and belly, I think.

A similar bird to yours, with help by Jochen Dierschke, is here: https://club300.de/gallery/forum_topic.php?id=76155&dir=0

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your explanation. I think it's safe to say then that the paler color is due to individual variation within Dark-bellied BG. Good to know, and also of your experiences with similar birds.
The images were indeed exposed with a full +1 stop compensation, dialed in to prevent underexposure as I was also photographing the birds against the sky.

Best regards,
Frank

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back