• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Dark Dark-bellied Brent Goose, UK (1 Viewer)

Silvio Davison

Hello all,

I recently popped down at Ferrybridge to have a look at the DB Brents wintering there. There were a few Pale-bellieds amongst all the Dark-bellieds plus this odd individual.

Perhaps a hybrid Black Brant x DB Brent? Or even Grey-bellied?

Obvious things I noticed compared to DBs were:

- smaller size
- darker tones on back and belly, with very little contrast between flight feathers and mantle colour
- quite evident white patch but not as evident as on clean BB
- neck collar perhaps not as extensive as expected for BB (?)

Many thanks and interesting to see how far this goes,

Silvio

Attachments

• image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 47
  • image9.JPG
    image9.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 45
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 40

Foxy

I'm not seeing anything that looks out for Dark-bellied Brent but the pictures are quite dark and your direct observation may have shown up the features you saw more clearly

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread