• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark eye Junco nest with eggs (1 Viewer)

Coolerairman

United States
I sought out this forum to seek assistance.

Two weeks ago, We noticed a dark eye Junco acting overly friendly and allowing us to get unusually close. We thought she was possibly sick and expected to find her expired in the pine needles. Then last week, we discovered that she had built a carefully concealed nest and laid four eggs in a pot that will soon be in the middle of a home construction project. The workers will begin soon and it will be impossible for them to perform their work with the potted plant and nest in its current location.

Is it possible to move the potted plant with the Junco nest just 8 feet and out of the way of harm? What is the maximum i can move it and still have her find it? A second alternative is to cover the potted plant and nest with a loose sheet.

Please help.

Coolerairman

Hi Cooerairman and welcome to the forum. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is illegal in the U.S. to interfere with a nest. Is it possible to reschedule the work?

Hi Lisa. Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I did some research and I know its illegal to move a nest. I was hoping to define what moving actually was..... even 4 feet would make a significant difference. Unfortunately, it is a common patio area in a housing association and we are renters.

I understand. I’m not sure if that amount of movement would hurt. I would contact the HOA (I hate those things) and let them know it is illegal to disturb, damage or move the nest. Might not help but it is the law. I do feel for your situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back