• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Red Helleborines dug up (1 Viewer)

lizard orchid

Dear All ,
In the recent BSBI news { Botanical Society Of British Isles magazine } there is a report that Dark Red Helleborines were dug up this year from a site in the Peak District. That makes 3 rare plant species targeted this year by yet more numpties with spades or trowels.

Brian Laney Botanist Northamptonshire.

Grrrr...

What were the other two?

Some plants that I showed to a friend of my mother's disappeared shortly after – I am sure he told the wrong person... and it made me weary of telling anyone else plant locations!

Grrrr...

What were the other two?

Some plants that I showed to a friend of my mother's disappeared shortly after – I am sure he told the wrong person... and it made me weary of telling anyone else plant locations!
The other two species were Meadow Clary from a site in Kent where nearly the whole population was taken. It was only a small population.
The other was Military Orchid at the famous site in Bucks. Good news the person was caught red handed.

Brian Laney Northamptonshire.

In the recent BSBI news { Botanical Society Of British Isles magazine } there is a report that Dark Red Helleborines were dug up this year from a site in the Peak District. That makes 3 rare plant species targeted this year by yet more numpties with spades or trowels.

Why oh Why do some people dig up Orchids? As everybody knows that the Orchids will die away from there former habitat.
It reminds me very much of eggers in the birding world!! :C

Cheers,
Dave.
http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com

Dear All ,
In the recent BSBI news { Botanical Society Of British Isles magazine } there is a report that Dark Red Helleborines were dug up this year from a site in the Peak District.
I was told recently that it's been happening at a site in Co Durham. Not sure if it was this summer or last though.

This seals it for me; I have taken several people to the site in the Peaks (including our good friend My Earl Gray), but they have all been people I know personally. As it is the most southerly in Britain, I guess it gets visited by a lot of southerners out there.

I will not be passing on any sites to people any more - even though I may already know them. The risk is too high for the plants.

The Durham site has a big population and is very well known. It is in fact a nature reserve but that clearly hasn't stopped people.

Heaven forbid if Ghost is refound and I catch someone digging it up. I'm not a violent man but that would be worse than flushing a Great snipe......

Sean

I would have to agree with Sean and I won't be giving out information on Orchid sites which I have visited over the last few years unless I know the person personally.
It's just a real shame in this day and age that people are still digging up Orchids.
Cheers,
Dave.

Anything happen to them? Presumably not much point in 'naming and shaming' unless it's already in the public sphere ... (like with birds and bats).
Dear Dantheman ,
I have just read a friends gardening magazine and it mentioned it was someone in their 60's from Shropshire who was digging up the Military orchids in Bucks.

Brian Laney Northamptonshire.

Hi Brian, have you got an address for the person?
So we then can go round to his house and dig up his garden, and then see if he likes his plants being removed!
Cheers,
Dave.

I know the Peak District site very well (I work for the organisation which is responsible for it's designation) and frankly it's mind-boggling - the population in this area is in long-term decline, it's not especially numerous on the site and it's hard enough managing such sites with just the incidental impacts to consider.

I can only underline what others have said - no more inside gen from me. If you want to see these species, then joining the Hardy Orchid Society is the best bet.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back