• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darren Pearce's 2010 Avon Year List (1 Viewer)

Darren Pearce

A change of idea this year. I thought that I would have a go at an Avon year list. Although Avon is no longer a county it is still a bird recording area made up from Bath and North East Somerset, South Gloucestershire, North Somerset and the City of Bristol. I know that I won't get to see everything recorded in the county as I work full time 8-30 to 5 and I have family commitments but we will just have to see how it goes. If the wheels fall off then this post will disappear into the depths of page 2.

The year started with a trip to Chew Valley and Blagdon Lakes to try and see all of the decent birds that straggled over from 2009. First up I tried the field where the Cattle Egret had been seen. No cattle and no egret. I went back to Herriots Bridge and picked up a few year ticks Goldeneye, Goosander, the returning wintering drake Red Breasted Merganser. Then the pager went off to say that the egret had returned. I rushed back to Heron's Green and saw that the cattle had been let back into the field and tucked away in the corner was the Cattle Egret a great start to the year list.

I moved on to Blagdon Lake and quickly found the Great Northern Diver that had been around for a few days.

Now that my luck was holding I thought I would try for the Long Tailed Duck back at Chew. I drove round to the Bernard King Hide and found it full of people with dogs. Of course it was New Years Days, but unbelievably there were dogs in front of the hide. I looked out for the duck but the afternoon sun made viewing impossible. I thought I would try from Sutton Wick so I drove round and then looked back to the BK hide with the sun behind me and remarkably the Long Tailed Duck was there, constantly diving then up for a few seconds then gone again.

All in all a good day out with same decent Avon birds.

Today I was back at Blagdon looking for 2 Slavonian Grebes that were reported yesterday. It was always a long shot as there was no location given and as I thought it was like a needle in a haystack and freezing cold so I soon gave up.

On the way back my daughter wanted to pop into Cribs causeway so I dropped into Sea Mills as I was passing. Incredibly the wintering Greenshank flew into my scope at the exact moment that I looked through it. A Greenshank presumably the same one has wintered here for umpteen winters

Here is the first list. notables in red

1 Mute Swan
2 Canada Goose
3 Shelduck
4 Wigeon
5 Gadwall
6 Teal
7 Mallard
8 Pintail
9 Shoveler
10 Pochard
11 Tufted Duck
12 Long-tailed Duck
13 Goldeneye
14 Red-breasted Merganser
15 Goosander
16 Ruddy Duck
17 Great Northern Diver
18 Little Grebe
19 Great Crested Grebe
20 Cormorant
21 Cattle Egret
22 Little Egret
23 Grey Heron
24 Sparrowhawk
25 Buzzard
26 Kestrel
27 Moorhen
28 Coot
29 Lapwing
30 Common Snipe
31 Greenshank
32 Redshank
33 Black-headed Gull
34 Common Gull
35 Lesser Black-backed Gull
36 Herring Gull
37 Great Black-backed Gull
38 Feral Pigeon
39 Woodpigeon
40 Collared Dove
41 Blackbird
42 Fieldfare
43 Song Thrush
44 Redwing
45 Cetti's Warbler
46 Chiffchaff
47 Long-tailed Tit
48 Blue Tit
49 Great Tit
50 Coal Tt
51 Jay
52 Magpie
53 Jackdaw
54 Rook
55 Carrion Crow
56 Starling
57 House Sparrow
58 Chaffinch
59 Greenfinch
60 Goldfinch
61 Bullfinch

(Avon birds missed potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe, Black Redstart, Bittern)

Attachments

• DSCN2148.JPG
    DSCN2148.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN2136.JPG
    DSCN2136.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Plenty of good Avon birds reported throughout the week. Back to Chew Valley Lake again today. Unfortunately when I got there it was completely frozen over, so that was Scaup ruled out. We went around to the Moreton hide as there was a Firecrest repoted yesterday. After getting stuck in the snow and having to rock the car back onto the road I thought we had better walk down to the hide. It was freezing and the kids complained all of the way down and all of the way back and of course no Firecrest. Next stop Heron's green where a Bittern had been reported yesterday stood out on the ice. No sign only a Grey Heron stood out on the ice. I decided that a coffee was in order as we were all still freezing, so we went over to the picnic site cafe.

After coffee and cake I popped back to Heron's Green. I scanned the reeds when suddenly the Bittern appeared and was stomping purposely towards the Grey Heron that we had seen earlier. It rushed straight at it and a scrap broke out which lasted all of 30 seconds with the Heron being the victor banishing the Bitten back into the reeds.

We made one more quick stop at Herriots Bridge and we were just in time to see a Water Rail feeding along the edge.

62 Robin
63 Pied Wagtail
64 Pheasant
65 Skylark
66 Raven
67 Bittern
68 Water Rail
69 Great Spotted Woodpecker
70 Meadow Pipit

(Avon birds missed potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe, Black Redstart,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Scaup,Firecrest)

Attachments

• bittern.jpg
    bittern.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 131
  • wrail.jpg
    wrail.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 125
  • frozen chew.jpg
    frozen chew.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
We took a trip along the coast today, well not really the coast but the banks of the Severn taking in Severn Beach,Avonmouth and Portishead.

We had a quick look for waders at Severn Beach but the biting wind forced a hasty retreat back to the car

71 Dunlin
72 Curlew
73 Oystercatcher
74 Peregrine Falcon

Next stop Avonmouth sewage works and the heated square pool where gulls hang out

75 Mediterranean Gull

Next we had a drive for the Gordano Valley looking for yesterday's Bewicks Swans but they were not there.

Finally onto Battery Point at Portishead which is the most reliable site in Avon for wintering Purple Sandpipers. As long as you are there at high tide you should see them. I saw three before the wind drove me into the cafe.

76 Purple Sandpiper
77 Rock Pipit

and an exclusion from yesterday

78 Goldcrest

(Avon birds missed potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe, Black Redstart,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Scaup,Firecrest)

It seems like I am constantly at Chew Valley Lake at the moment, but the good birds just keep coming. A report of a redhead Smew had me heading there again on Saturday. I arrived at Herriot's Bridge and set my scope up and after a little anxious scanning I found it. After a while I moved onto Portishead for an all important claw back. I had tried last weekend to find the Black Redstart that had been around the outdoor swimming pool for the last fortnight but because of the snow and biting wind could not find it. However today was a different story and I soon located it down on the rocks in front of the Lido.

On the way home I had a quick look for Short Eared Owls at Aust Warth but unfortunately this year they don't sem to be there

79 Smew
80 Black Redstart

On Sunday afterrnoon we went for a drive around the Marshfield area looking for farmland birds. The easier ones were no problem

81 Yellowhammer
82 Corn Bunting
83 Red Legged Partridge
84 Linnet

But Brambling took a little more work. Last year was easy, find the Chaffinch flock, scan it, find a Brambling. Yesterday it took me ages to find the Chaffinches. Eventually I found them and after a while I found a male Brambling

85 Brambling

Today I went for a walk to the local park and picked up two year ticks. Firstly there was a drake Mandarin on the lake and a Mistle Thrush (about time)

86 Mandarin
87 Mistle Thrush

My first casualty of work occured this week when there was a Slavonian Grebe on the Barrow Tanks reservoirs on Wednesday and Thursday but there was no way of me getting there as it is a 40 minute drive both ways and I have to work 8-30 til 5 and only get an hour for lunch. However I did pop in there on Saturday and as a consolation I found my first Grey Wagtail of the year

88 Grey Wagtail

Also I have noticed a couple of ommissions from earlier posts

89 Reed Bunting
90 Dunnock

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Scaup,Goshawk,Red Kite,)

Last edited:
Back to Blagdon on Saturday morning to try and see the Scaup that has been around. It was there before the big freeze but of course vanished whilst the lakes were frozen. It is there with a supposed hybrid. I quickly located both birds and I'll be honest I couldn't actually see anything wrong with either bird but I'm no expert. I looked over to the other side of the lake and found the Barnacle Geese in with the Canada's

91 Scaup
92 Barnacle Goose

I popped back to Chew and stopped at Heron's Green for a sawbill extravaganza with a group of Goosander, the drake Red Breasted Merganser and two redhead Smew.

I went on round to Herriots and had a quick look about, as I was crossing the road another birder had picked up a very fidgety female Red Crested Pochard which I got onto just in time as it upped and flew over to the main lake. They are turning up everywhere at the moment following the freeze

93 Red Crested Pochard

Sunday was a disaster of mistimings on my behalf. I went down to Clevedon to try to increase the wader list. I got there too late and the tide had covered all of the mud so there was only a few Dunlin, Redshank and Curlew around. I checked later on the website that cover the area only to find I had missed about 6 wader ticks :C. I headed back up towards home via the Gordano Valley and had a half hearted attempt for the Red Kite that has been around but no luck. The same website confirmed that it was still about.
Finally I dropped in at Severn Beach and got my only new addition of the day

94 Turnstone

Basically a whole day for a RUDDY Turnstone :C

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,)

Last edited:
The week started well with a Jack Snipe on my local patch. There is a small reedy pond there and Jack Snipe are annual.

95 Jack Snipe

The week took a turn for the worse on Thurday when I decided to go for the Green Winged Teal at Oldbury Power Station reported late on Wednesday evening. I took an extended lunch break and after an hour and a half of yomping around getting my work clothes dirty it was apparent that the bird had gone. Nobody else saw it so it was a one day bird.

An early high tide on Sunday gave me the opportunity for a race up the coast trying to fill some of the wader gaps from the previous week. I started the morning at Uphill, just in case the second Green Winged Teal of the week ventured across the River Axe into Avon. It didn't. I found out later that it spent the day at Brean Down (well and truly in Somerset). However I did manage three year ticks. A Stonechat appeared as I was walking to the beach (about time) and within the wader flock were a few Ringed Plover and a couple of Knot

96 Stonechat
97 Ringed Plover
98 Knot

I moved onto Kingston Seymour and although the tide had moved out I was still able to add Grey Plover

99 Grey Plover

Realising I was on 99 for January I tried fruitlessly for the Little Owls at Thornbury Castle and the Short Eared Owl at Aust. Both were "no shows"

January ends frustratingly on 99

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl)

Finally crash through the 100. Not easy this week though. I tried a couple more times without success for the Short Eared Owls at Aust Warth.

On Saturday I had a flying visit to Chew Valley Lake on the way to the footie. I was hoping for the Ferruginous Duck that had been floating about in Stratford Bay on Thursday and Friday, of course no sign Saturday. Presumably this is the same drake that always seems to be about so hopefully this will be a bird that I will see later in the year.I had a quick look for the Water Pipit at Moreton but again no luck.

Frustrated by the lack of ticks this week I ventured to Lower Woods near Wickwar on Sunday morning. Woodland was really the last habitat that I needed to cover for common birds.

The result was good and Green Woodpecker became my 100th bird. Not very exciting I know

100 Green Woodpecker
101 Marsh Tit
102 Nuthatch
103 Treecreeper

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,White Fronted Goose,Water Pipit,Ferruginous Duck)

Last edited:
All quiet this week on the Avon front and only one new tick, a flyover Siskin on the local patch in midweek

104 Siskin

As it was so quiet we took the opportunity to head over to Mid Wales for the Black Kite at Gigrin Farm, which if accepted is a British tick for me. We got there at around 1.15 and the feeding started at 2pm. The Red Kites won't start feeding until the Crows have started. Today the Crows took ages to start but once they started a feeding frenzy got underway with Crows,Rooks,Ravens,Grey Herons,Buzzards and Pied Wagtails joining the Red Kites. There seemed to be hundreds of Kites in the sky and amongst them occassionally dropping in was the Black Kite. All in all a good day out. It was impossible for me to photograph the Black Kite with my digiscoping set up, but I did manage some Red Kites.

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,White Fronted Goose,Water Pipit,Ferruginous Duck)

Attachments

• redkite1.jpg
    redkite1.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 118
  • redkite2.jpg
    redkite2.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 118
  • redkitefrenzy1.jpg
    redkitefrenzy1.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I went on a goose hunt on Saturday. The first stop of the morning was to Northwick Warth near Severn Beach where I quickly found the seven Greylag Geese grazing in the distance. I scanned the shore for waders.The tide was a little further in than I expected so most of the waders had been pushed on, but I was able to locate 1 Bar Tailed Godwit standing firm on a little mound of exposed mud which soon became covered so it flew into the long grass with the Curlew flock.

I popped briefly to Avonmouth Sewage Works to see if I could find the Green Sandpiper reported in the week, but no joy

Next stop was Blagdon Lake, my target was another Goose. I pulled up and scoped the Canada Geese and after a while found the White Fronted Goose in with them. A claw back from earlier in the month. I thought that I had missed my opportunity as most Avon White Fronts are fly bys on daytrips from Slimbridge.

On the way home I popped into Willsbridge and dipped Dipper for the third time this year.

105 Greylag Goose
106 Bar-Tailed Godwit
107 White Fronted Goose

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Ferruginous Duck)

Last edited:
Bring on the migrants, this is hard work. Avon has been devoid of good birds for the last two weeks. Only one year tick

108 Stock Dove

To ease the boredom I took a trip to Dorset for the Bufflehead, which will be a lifer if accepted. We had a good day out, quickly locating the bird and getting good views. The supporting cast wasn't too bad either with Pale Bellied Brent Goose and Black Brant at Ferrybridge and two Spoonbills at Lodmoor

I digiscoped the Bufflehead and if you look closely in the picture below you may see it, still the picture is just as good as all of the others that I have seen

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Ferruginous Duck,Common Crane,Lesser Scaup)

Attachments

• 140210 117.jpg
    140210 117.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 125
A lovely spring day and a chance to get out a see some early migrants. After reading on Twitter of a Ring Ouzel at Portbury Warth this was my first destination. I got there at around 8.30am and had a quick look about, I'm not too familiar with the area so I did not know exactly where to start looking. Luckily there was a local bird group meeting here today and the leader had seen the bird earlier. It wasn't long before me and the group were watching a cracking male Ring Ouzel in a horse field.

I moved onto Chew Valley Lake as there were a couple of good ducks that I still needed. First stop the dam and still in eactly the same place as reported yesterday was the drake Lesser Scaup, flirting with the female Tufted Ducks.
I moved round to Herriots Bridge and unfortunately the Ferruginous Duck hadn't followed the plan and was nowhere to be seen. There was a adult summer Med Gull here standing out like a sore thumb with the Black Headed Gulls. Possibly the most surprising thing about Chew was the lack of Sand Martins after 100 were reported yesterday. Plenty of time yet.

109 Ring Ouzel
110 Lesser Scaup

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Ferruginous Duck,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit)

Attachments

• lesserscaup1.jpg
    lesserscaup1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 116
  • lesserscaup2.jpg
    lesserscaup2.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
After the weather forecast predicted a wash out the day turned out bright and fine. After waiting for the kids to get over their lost hours sleep we headed down to New Passage down by Severn Beach for a quick stop off before Chew Valley Lake. My target was Wheatear which was quickly sorted with a fine male running around between the dead wood.
Onto Chew and the first target here was yet again the drake Ferruginous Duck at Herriots Bridge. Today he was cooperating and was easily found on the pool in with the Tufted Ducks. There was a bonus tick here with a Green Sandpiper on the waters edge. Another birder told me of two Little Gulls off of the dam so we popped round and again quickly found them. I enjoyed prolonged scope views of these tidy gulls as they fed over the water.
I was disappointed again with apparent lack of hirundines, so we broke for lunch and had chips in the picnic site tea rooms.
Afterwards I could see that cloud was rolling in so I thought I would hang around and see if anything came in.
It wasn't long before 2 Swallows appeared overhead quickly followed by a party of around 50 Sand Martins

111 Wheatear
112 Ferruginous Duck
113 Green Sandpiper
114 Little Gull
115 Swallow
116 Sand Martin

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit)

A few Avon ticks over the past week. A couple of easy ones in mid week with

117 Willow Warbler
118 Blackcap

I had a couple of spare hours on Saturday morning and whizzed up to Marshfield to try and find a flock of Golden Plovers that had been about for a few days. They were easily found in a ploughed field, some of them in full summer dress.

I shot on to Willsbirdge Mill to try and dip Dipper again. This site has seemed very hit and miss over the last few years. I tried around 8 times last year with no luck. I started by the mill and as usual no luck. I walked a little way up the river and then frustratingly heard one. I could not see down to the river as the foliage was too thick. I listened and sussed out which way it was heading and realised it was going back to the mill, I ran back to where I originally started and found it, sat out nicely on a rock.

119 Golden Plover
120 Dipper

On Sunday we popped to a regular site in Bristol for Little Ringed Plover as a couple had been reported. These were quickly added.

Then onto Chew where apparently I had missed an Osprey going through earlier. Oh well you can't be everywhere. The last tick of the weekend was House Martin in with a mixed flock of Sand Martins and Swallows.

121 Little Ringed Plover
122 House Martin

(Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit,Osprey)

A few more over the last week or so with migration now in full flow.

On my local patch I had 3 Redstarts over 2 days and a quick after work trip to Chew Valley Lake got me a Common Sandpiper

123 Redstart
124 Common Sandpiper

I went to Severn Beach on Saturday morning with common migrants being the targets. On my way there I got a report via Twitter of a drake Common Scoter on the river. Never easy in Avon, really it's a "had to be there bird" or hope that some appear at Chew. When I got there I made straight for where the bird had been seen and quickly picked it up in my scope heading towards Royal Portbury Docks. Also on the shore here were some Whimbrel which was also a year tick. Over the course of the morning I added a flyover Yellow Wagtail and a singing Whitethroat.

125 Common Scoter
126 Whimbrel
127 Yellow Wagtail
128 Whitethroat

Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Shore Lark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit,Osprey,Grasshopper Warbler,Marsh Harrier)

A great few days picking up some more migrants and a real Avon rarity.

A couple of common migrants secured locally

129 Lesser Whitethroat
130 Sedge Warbler

Yesterday after watching City's last game after home we rushed over to Barrow Gurney Resevoirs as a Shorelark had been discovered there earlier. When I got there I asked another birder where it was and he pointed out another birder at the furthest point possible. On the way round I met a warden who asked to see my permit. No problem as I always renew my Bristol Water permit. Once he was satisfied he took off in his Land Rover at about 70 mph towards the other birder. I could foresee a potential problem here as the bird was being seen on the track where he was heading. I saw him talking to the birder and then whizzing off. When I eventually got round to the other side as suspected the warden had flushed the bird and the other chap didn't see where it went. Luckily after a few minutes frantic looking the bird was picked up flying across the water to the other side. Phew !
It was a cracker and very obliging. A very unlikely claw back from earlier in the year

131 Shorelark

I went on to Chew Valley Lake and quickly found the Garganey that was reported earlier and my first Reed Warblers and Common Terns of the year

132 Garganey
133 Reed Warbler
134 Common Tern

On Sunday I had a two hour window for birding so opted for Severn Beach to try a nail some more of commoner migrants. I thought I'd made a mistake until eventually I heard a Grasshopper Warbler reeling from some bushes

135 Grasshopper Warbler

Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit,Osprey,Marsh Harrier,Hoopoe,Wood Warbler,Pied Flycatcher)

Attachments

• shore lark1 (1).jpg
    shore lark1 (1).jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 106
  • shore lark1 (2).jpg
    shore lark1 (2).jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 105
  • garganey.jpg
    garganey.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I have spent the last week or so mopping up on our more commoner migrants

Locally I got

136 Common Swift
137 Whinchat

On Saturday I went for a wander round the Burrington area which lies very close to the border with Somerset. As soon as I got out of the car I could hear a Cuckoo calling, which was a relief as they are few and far between in Avon. Once up on Burrington Coombe there were plenty of common migrants including three singing Garden Warblers, sometimes giving good views on exposed perches.

138 Cuckoo
139 Garden Warbler

Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Red Kite,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit,Osprey,Marsh Harrier,Hoopoe,Wood Warbler,Pied Flycatcher,Tawny Pipit,Arctic Tern, Pomarine Skua,Arctic Skua,Manx Shearwater,Kingfisher,Sanderling,Sandwich Tern,Little Tern,Black Tern,Tree Pipit,Common Crossbill,Grey Partridge,Kittiwake,Gannet,Snow Bunting,Little Owl,Barn Owl,Tawny Owl,Brent Goose,Hobby)

Last edited:
Talk about the summer doldrums, it has been more like mid June than mid May. I've even thought about putting on the butterfly hat. However today a surprise came along. I was out in the back garden and happened to look up. I saw a possible Raven circling high up. I went indoors for my binoculars, but by the time I had come out the bird had gone. I popped through the house and looked out the front. Still no Raven,but in its place was a Red Kite. Instantly recognisable with its white wing windows and forked tail. I watched it over the house and then disapear into the distance being harried by gulls .There has been a bit of an influx locally lately with large groups of up to 7 seen in Somerset. Just goes to show you never know what will come next.

140 Red Kite

This afternoon I took a quick run out to Severn Beach just before high tide and easily connected with my target bird Sanderling

141 Sanderling

Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit,Osprey,Marsh Harrier,Hoopoe,Wood Warbler,Pied Flycatcher,Tawny Pipit,Arctic Tern, Pomarine Skua,Arctic Skua,Manx Shearwater,Kingfisher,Sandwich Tern,Little Tern,Black Tern,Tree Pipit,Common Crossbill,Grey Partridge,Kittiwake,Gannet,Snow Bunting,Little Owl,Barn Owl,Tawny Owl,Brent Goose,Hobby,Spotted Flycatcher,Nightingale)

Attachments

• 140210 147.jpg
    140210 147.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 108
It has been dire, with the summer doldrums setting in early in Avon this year. However I was able to pick up a couple of ticks today from the Marshfield area.

Spotted Flycatchers have been reported in the area and today was the first opportunity I had to go and see them.

Luckily I had good directions and they were easily found.

Like buses no ticks for ages and then two come along. As I was walking back to the car a Hobby swooped over my head before rising up to pursue Swifts

142 Spotted Flycatcher
143 Hobby

Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit,Osprey,Marsh Harrier,Hoopoe,Wood Warbler,Pied Flycatcher,Tawny Pipit,Arctic Tern, Pomarine Skua,Arctic Skua,Manx Shearwater,Kingfisher,Sandwich Tern,Little Tern,Black Tern,Tree Pipit,Common Crossbill,Grey Partridge,Kittiwake,Gannet,Snow Bunting,Little Owl,Barn Owl,Tawny Owl,Brent Goose,Red Throated Diver,Ring Necked Parakeet,Quail,Nightingale)

Attachments

• spotfly1.jpg
    spotfly1.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 100
Slow progress over the last few weeks. Moving house and few other things have taken priority. However I was able to manage one tick at the weekend. I popped over to Marshfield the local Quail hotspot. I stopped off at Down Road and as soon as I got out of the car I heard the "wet my lips" call. I add Quail to my year list on a heard only basis.

144 Quail

Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit,Osprey,Marsh Harrier,Hoopoe,Wood Warbler,Pied Flycatcher,Tawny Pipit,Arctic Tern, Pomarine Skua,Arctic Skua,Manx Shearwater,Kingfisher,Sandwich Tern,Little Tern,Black Tern,Tree Pipit,Common Crossbill,Grey Partridge,Kittiwake,Gannet,Snow Bunting,Little Owl,Barn Owl,Tawny Owl,Brent Goose,Red Throated Diver,Ring Necked Parakeet,Nightingale)

The slog continues. Over the last week or so I have managed to miss out on all of the decent Avon waders. However Curlew Sandpiper added today

145 Curlew Sandpiper

Avon birds missed or potential claw backs Slavonian Grebe,Waxwing,Woodlark,Bewick's Swan,Firecrest,Goshawk,Green Winged Teal,Lesser Spotted Woodpecker,Spotted Redshank,Merlin,Short Eared Owl,Ring Billed Gull,Water Pipit,Hen Harrier,Common Crane,Black Kite,Great White Egret,Bearded Tit,Osprey,Marsh Harrier,Hoopoe,Wood Warbler,Pied Flycatcher,Tawny Pipit,Arctic Tern, Pomarine Skua,Arctic Skua,Manx Shearwater,Kingfisher,Sandwich Tern,Little Tern,Black Tern,Tree Pipit,Common Crossbill,Grey Partridge,Kittiwake,Gannet,Snow Bunting,Little Owl,Barn Owl,Tawny Owl,Brent Goose,Red Throated Diver,Ring Necked Parakeet,Nightingale,Ruff,Little Stint,Black Tailed Godwit,Wryneck,Egyptian Goose,Wood Sandpiper)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back