• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darwin's Finch (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Very small bill, lots of streaking on the breast. Small Ground Finch?

Highlands of Isla Sta. Cruz

Attachments

• Darwin Finch.jpg
    Darwin Finch.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 35
Do you have an image where the head is seen in even more profile? I have difficulty feeling sure from this one photo.

Niels

Do you have an image where the head is seen in even more profile? I have difficulty feeling sure from this one photo.

Niels

No, it's from the days before digital unfortunately so I had to preserve my film and just took the one photo.

Other options are Small Tree Finch which has a more strongly curved culmen than Small GF which has a more or less straight culmen. I have difficulty agreeing with myself what your bird shows. On the larger islands in that area, and as far as I know that includes I. Sta Cruz, there are two populations of medium GF with different size bill.

Having said that I would rank the options for your bird (most likely first): Small GF > Medium GF > Small TF

Neils

Other options are Small Tree Finch which has a more strongly curved culmen than Small GF which has a more or less straight culmen. I have difficulty agreeing with myself what your bird shows. On the larger islands in that area, and as far as I know that includes I. Sta Cruz, there are two populations of medium GF with different size bill.

Having said that I would rank the options for your bird (most likely first): Small GF > Medium GF > Small TF

Neils

OK, thanks. Maybe one day I will go back there are pay proper attention to the finches. This was a diving trip so there wasn't really time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back