• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darwin's finches... Anybody dares? (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

1. Isabela Highlands, end of july20210726113440_IMG_8825-01.jpeg

2. Santa Cruz, village
20210727100928_IMG_8924-01.jpeg
3. San Cristobal, near airport (dry bushy area)
20210729172600_IMG_0567-01.jpeg
4. Española island
20210728131142_IMG_9507-01.jpeg
5. Isabela, near coast
20210725211708_IMG_8551-01.jpeg
6. San Cristobal, lowland
20210730130407_IMG_0622-01.jpeg
7. San Cristobal
20210731074609_IMG_0921-01.jpeg
8. San Cristobal
20210731083252_IMG_0938-01.jpeg
Thanks!!!

#1 looks like a common Cactus Finch; I think #6 is this also
#2 looks like a Medium Ground Finch as does #8
#3 could be a tree finch, presumably small tree F; same for #7
Española Ground-Finch/Espanola Cactus FinchGeospiza conirostris
#5 Small ground finch or possibly a small-billed Medium GF

Niels

Thanks Niels!!!

1 I'm thinking in woodpecker finch. It was in a big tree in an humid tree area at Isabela (no cactus there), in the way to the volcano. Also it was paler than "standard" females of Darwin finches.

3 Could be the vegetarian? It was mid size

6 Eating flowers... I have photos of cactus and the bill seems to be longer and with its particular shape...and they feed mostly on ground (when I saw them). But I really doubt and except cactus it does not fit with other

It's crazy trying to identify this birds in site.

Pd: I tried lorito but just not appear elsewhere

I have a little experience of these - You are being redirected... as well as having illustrated them for HBW

1. Woodpecker
2. Medium Ground
3. I think Small Ground, but possibly Small Tree - though Small Tree on San Cristobal salvini should not show hooded effect. On ebird there are some that look a little like yours, but beware there are several misidentified images and some that are indeed Small Tree, but clearly labelled for the wrong island
4. Large-billed Ground
5. Small Ground
6. Small Ground
7. Small Tree subsp salvini
8. Medium Ground

I have a little experience of these - You are being redirected... as well as having illustrated them for HBW

1. Woodpecker
2. Medium Ground
3. I think Small Ground, but possibly Small Tree - though Small Tree on San Cristobal salvini should not show hooded effect. On ebird there are some that look a little like yours, but beware there are several misidentified images and some that are indeed Small Tree, but clearly labelled for the wrong island
4. Large-billed Ground
5. Small Ground
6. Small Ground
7. Small Tree subsp salvini
8. Medium Ground
Notice that Large Ground Finch does not occur on Espanola. Therefore, I am certain about my earlier id of #4.

Regarding the others:
It is difficult to judge the bill shape on #1. you might be right. Compare: Woodpecker Finch

For #6, looking at it again I agree. Compare with Small Ground Finch
Niels

Thanks Niels and Brian!!!

Yes, finally I think that's right. 1 is clear woodpecker to me regarding the habitat and much paler colour, I can remember it perfectly. The photo is bad for identification purposes.

4 is conirostris, is the only species that ocurrs in Española of that kind.

3 seems a bit strange. It's the only doubt I have, it was feeding in the tree, hooded... but with the description of the subespecie salvini should be small ground.

So I didn't see any vegetarian then 😅

Only additional comment is that I did not take any photos of hooded Small Tree Fs in San Christobal.

Niels

Niels, did you see all the finches species in your trip? Did you write a trip report?
I did see most (mangrove finch can only currently be seen by researchers working with it is my impression). I also did not see the vampire finch and other splits that happened after I had been. I was on a arranged trip with Alvaro Jaramillo and a birding group where we had one week on a boat that did a non-standard circuit. Because of this way of visiting i did not do a report. I remember him remarking at one time that it would in the future be impossible to see all available species in a week because you now also need to visit the NW islands that otherwise mainly are visited for diving.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back