• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Day 2 in Borneo Rainforest (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
I took few days off for road trip to various locations in last December 2020 here in Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo. This is my Day 2 stay in Borneo Tropical Rainforest Resort and among birds sighted today were; Striated Heron 綠蓑鷺, Rufous-backed Dwarf-Kingfisher 棕背三趾翠鳥, Olive-winged Bulbul 橄欖褐鵯, Little Spiderhunter 長嘴捕蛛鳥, Great Egret 大白鷺, White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus).

Below are some of the photos taken. If you would like to see more or some POV video footage, you may head over to my Youtube Channel latest released vlog BORNEO Series Ep4
. More birds will be featured in coming episodes, including Borneo endemic bird, Bornean Bristlehead.

resize_PIC-20201215-102322-DSC05964-A7R3a-denoise-b.jpg resize_PIC-20201215-102322-DSC05965-A7R3a-denoise.jpg resize_PIC-20201215-151849-DSC06319-A7R3a-denoise.jpg resize_PIC-20201215-152659-DSC06368-A7R3a-denoise-affinity.jpg resize_PIC-20201215-075714-DSC05946-A7R3a-denoise.jpg resize_PIC-20201215-065111-DSC05884-A7R3a-denoise.jpg resize_PIC-20201215-064717-DSC05874-A7R3a-denoise.jpg resize_PIC-20201215-101254-DSC05951-A7R3a-denoise.jpg

Feel free to leave comments or ask if you have any questions.

------------------------------------------------
Dixon @imSomewhereToday
IG | https://www.instagram.com/imsomewheretoday/
FB | https://www.facebook.com/imSomewhereToday
YouTube | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCutvMzjkULao-P6ufTPdiSA
#imSomewhereToday

Julian101

United Kingdom
I saw a rufous backed dwarf kingfisher in March 2019 when I visited Borneo, Kinanbatangan River area. I didn’t know what it was then, but I do now! Thanks.

Also saw orangutans in the wild (one huge male, one mother and baby), plus a wild elephant, lots of proboscis monkeys, hornbills. Plus lots more. Really enjoyed my time travelling in Malaysia (2 months).

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Great video and really well put together.

However I had to stop watching it halfway through, the music soundtrack was beginning to irk me! I would rather listen to ambient sound and birdsong, even the rain pounding down. The music added, gave it a feel of a tourist promotion video for me rather than a ‘hardcore birding trip report’ and was very repetitive. However, the photography and video work was excellent as is the idea of making a virtual record of the resort.

dixonlau

Malaysia
I saw a rufous backed dwarf kingfisher in March 2019 when I visited Borneo, Kinanbatangan River area. I didn’t know what it was then, but I do now! Thanks.

Also saw orangutans in the wild (one huge male, one mother and baby), plus a wild elephant, lots of proboscis monkeys, hornbills. Plus lots more. Really enjoyed my time travelling in Malaysia (2 months).
Wow, Julian, that sounded so interesting for your last visit to Sabah. I visited Sabah many years ago but that time only as tourist, not into birding nor have any proper camera gears for such activities ;) Can't wait for the border to open up again. Currently Malaysia still not allow for inter-state travel.

So lucky of you saw a wild orangutan. The elephant you saw, is it small? It could be Borneo Pygmy Elephant. I so wish to see proboscis monkey :cool:

Do you know which species of hornbills you saw?

Just for your info, Borneo actually consists of 3 countries. Malaysia (Sabah & Sarawak) here we also refer it as East Malaysia, Brunei, and Indonesia (Kalimantan).

dixonlau

Malaysia
Great video and really well put together.

However I had to stop watching it halfway through, the music soundtrack was beginning to irk me! I would rather listen to ambient sound and birdsong, even the rain pounding down. The music added, gave it a feel of a tourist promotion video for me rather than a ‘hardcore birding trip report’ and was very repetitive. However, the photography and video work was excellent as is the idea of making a virtual record of the resort.
Thank you Deb and also your great feedback on my video.

I have to say, I am very new in videography, also it is my first time using GoPro. Sometimes thought I pressed the button to record but instead it ended up no footage only a still photo 😅 haha. Not much good footage in my last trip. Will do better in my next exploring trip. Already got some mounting bracket so can hookup all the gears ;)

I'm still yet considered a "hardcore" birders. Still consider very new. Currently more into relaxing nature walk cum birdings.

Julian101

United Kingdom
Wow, Julian, that sounded so interesting for your last visit to Sabah. I visited Sabah many years ago but that time only as tourist, not into birding nor have any proper camera gears for such activities ;) Can't wait for the border to open up again. Currently Malaysia still not allow for inter-state travel.

So lucky of you saw a wild orangutan. The elephant you saw, is it small? It could be Borneo Pygmy Elephant. I so wish to see proboscis monkey :cool:

Do you know which species of hornbills you saw?

Just for your info, Borneo actually consists of 3 countries. Malaysia (Sabah & Sarawak) here we also refer it as East Malaysia, Brunei, and Indonesia (Kalimantan).

Julian101

United Kingdom

Julian101

United Kingdom
Yes, was small elephant. I believe it was a pigmy elephant. Even our guide was excited because it’s rare to see them. I also spent time in Sarawak, and visited Bako National Park for two days (overnight in park accommodation). Bako is the place for proboscis monkeys. I was able to trek alone in the forest, and there was also a guided night trek. Very cheap by UK standards, as, incidentally, was the three day trip to Kinanbatanang (120 euros for three days, two nights, excellent accommodation, all meals, all transport, 6 excursions by boat on the river, including two at night, guided/wildlife spotters.)

Here are some pics, orangutans are mother and baby, look carefully for baby’s hand, and male with cheek plates.

Attachments

• FD244654-FB63-4E43-B616-E6B12196BA10.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 10
  • BCD28CCA-9269-4979-8582-76CDA6433E2E.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 6
  • A9521E07-9A24-4974-BF19-D874413BCAC4.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 7
  • CEBF5B7B-11C2-4B3E-9C7D-A919B5E736B2.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 247CF86A-95F1-463D-B959-6875E8D605C0.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 7
  • A2F580AA-8D01-4D7A-83B7-B3F2C9346775.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • 71BEB774-6811-44AC-AA28-15987E7AB4AB.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 8
  • F4DCBDAB-516C-4C63-A0FC-61BBC22B1EBE.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 6
  • BCEEA479-F35F-4579-9D29-A9DCE1B911B1.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6

dixonlau

Malaysia
Yes, was small elephant. I believe it was a pigmy elephant. Even our guide was excited because it’s rare to see them. I also spent time in Sarawak, and visited Bako National Park for two days (overnight in park accommodation). Bako is the place for proboscis monkeys. I was able to trek alone in the forest, and there was also a guided night trek. Very cheap by UK standards, as, incidentally, was the three day trip to Kinanbatanang (120 euros for three days, two nights, excellent accommodation, all meals, all transport, 6 excursions by boat on the river, including two at night, guided/wildlife spotters.)

Here are some pics, orangutans are mother and baby, look carefully for baby’s hand, and male with cheek plates.
That is awesome! The hornbill looks like Black Hornbill. The pygmy elephant looks so cute haha. Makes me want visit Sabah now too :cool:

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
Hi Dixon

Some nice footage and good images. We returned to Sabah a few years ago having visited Sarawak and Sabah some years before.
You might find our trip report helpful in planning your trip to Sabah

David

Attachments

• Borneo and Singapore.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 7

dixonlau

Malaysia
Hi Dixon

Some nice footage and good images. We returned to Sabah a few years ago having visited Sarawak and Sabah some years before.
You might find our trip report helpful in planning your trip to Sabah

David
Wow, those were wonderful list of birds you have encountered in your trip to Sabah. Thanks for sharing your trip report.

andyb39

The Bulbul you've labelled Olive-winged has no green tones on the wing and no streaks on the ear-coverts, as well has having a whitish vent. I thought at first that it might be Red-eyed, but that white vent seems to rule it out, so I'm thinking it could be the red-eyed form of Cream-vented found in Borneo.

dixonlau

Malaysia
The Bulbul you've labelled Olive-winged has no green tones on the wing and no streaks on the ear-coverts, as well has having a whitish vent. I thought at first that it might be Red-eyed, but that white vent seems to rule it out, so I'm thinking it could be the red-eyed form of Cream-vented found in Borneo.
Thank you for pointing it out Andy. Appreciated. Looks like I might misidentified the one on the left also. I will post it in Bird ID to get confirmation.

bulbul.jpg

Andy Adcock

England
I can't see any names labels just 'Bulbul'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread