• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Dead baby in nest (1 Viewer)

NYCLIVING

Hello all,

A pair of mourning doves decided to build a nest right outside my window.

About 5 days ago, both eggs hatched.

Yesterday when I got home from work, I noticed a lot of flies swarming the nest, couldn't figure out why. I did not want to investigate more, because I didn't want to disturb.

However, this morning, (either the dad or mom), flew away from the nest for a little while, and I noticed only one nestling. Unfortunately, I also saw the remains of the other dead baby.

The dead baby seemed to have been smashed, as if the parents and other baby were just sitting on top if it.

Questions:

1) Why did the baby die?
- I never bothered them, if anything I glanced from time to time, but it didn't seem bothersome to them. Also, they're nesting on a window in urban New York City, could it have been all the noise that startled them?

2) Why didn't they remove the dead bird? From what I've read, they toss out the dead babies to prevent infection spreading / parasites. (However there are a ton of flies and it's pretty dirty)

3) Will they discard of it later?

The ledge is EXTREMELY SMALL, i'm very surprised they chose to nest there. 3 grown birds would definitely not fit. Maybe they killed it to make room?

Thanks for the answers, I'm not a bird expert, just a little concerned.

Last edited:

fugl

Hello all,

A pair of mourning doves decided to build a nest right outside my window.

About 5 days ago, both eggs hatched.

Yesterday when I got home from work, I noticed a lot of flies swarming the nest, couldn't figure out why. I did not want to investigate more, because I didn't want to disturb.

However, this morning, (either the dad or mom), flew away from the nest for a little while, and I noticed only one nestling. Unfortunately, I also saw the remains of the other dead baby.

The dead baby seemed to have been smashed, as if the parents and other baby were just sitting on top if it.

Questions:

1) Why did the baby die?
- I never bothered them, if anything I glanced from time to time, but it didn't seem bothersome to them. Also, they're nesting on a window in urban New York City, could it have been all the noise that startled them?

2) Why didn't they remove the dead bird? From what I've read, they toss out the dead babies to prevent infection spreading / parasites. (However there are a ton of flies and it's pretty dirty)

3) Will they discard of it later?

The ledge is EXTREMELY SMALL, i'm very surprised they chose to nest there. 3 grown birds would definitely not fit. Maybe they killed it to make room?

Thanks for the answers, I'm not a bird expert, just a little concerned.

Chances are the dead nestling died of natural causes— it happens. Once the living nestling fledges, the doves—parents and young both—will lose interest in the nest; they certainly won’t attempt clean it up in any way though it’s possible they might build a new nest on the ledge later in the season.

Let’s hope the surviving nestling has better luck . . ..

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread