• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dead bird in Rome (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
I thought they were Starlings?

Nearly posted this up last night having seen it on twitter. City roosting Starlings, presumably startled from roost and hit a nearby glass structure or even miscalculated and hit the road (as has happened elsewhere).

Very sad.

Arbu

I thought they were Starlings?

Nearly posted this up last night having seen it on twitter. City roosting Starlings, presumably startled from roost and hit a nearby glass structure or even miscalculated and hit the road (as has happened elsewhere).

Very sad.

Oh yes, I guess so. I remember seeing a huge flock of starlings over Rome once.

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
Some years ago it was announced that silent fireworks would start to be used (because dogs get crazy with the blasts), I think one of the places was actually Rome. It seems it never happened, unfortunately.

locustella

Fireworks are nice, but this is sad, although statistically insignificant.
This year in Warsaw, around midnight, terrified crow birds, probably rooks, were fleeing from fireworks from time to time, even in groups. Raven birds rarely fly with lantern lights all year around too.
One year, scared dog of my neighbor's was killed by a car.
Edited later:
Perhaps AUTOPSY would shed light on that strange event - broken bones, damaged internal organs, heart attacks. But nobody takes care about details. Most likely they got scared to death, panicked and hit something - buildings, themselves. But maybe the roar of fireworks temporarily disabled their brains or they got blind or they started to follow fireworks instead of stars or lost orientation in another way or felt dizzy from following moving fireworks and started vomiting ON EACH OTHER in flight like on a merry-go-round or they inhaled smoke and started choking or their eyes ran dry ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread