• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Dead raptor ID (Greece) (1 Viewer)

Dimitra_v

Greece
I saw this corpse washed up on the shore. I took a close-up of its talons to see if that helps with the identification. I found it in the Thermaikos gulf, Thessaloniki. Anyone know what It might be? I dont know many birds of prey, and this one is really decomposed. I just worry if it is a rare or immature raptor, but it's not banded or anything so I dont have to report it anywhere.

Attachments

• P1100659.JPG
    P1100659.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 54
  • P1100660.JPG
    P1100660.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 52
  • P1100661.JPG
    P1100661.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 50
  • P1100662.JPG
    P1100662.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 54

Dimitra_v

Greece
Is that so? It would have never crossed my mind. They dont have a sustaining breeding population in Greece as far as I know, but there are still some resident and some passing during migration. But if anyonehas any other suggestions I'd like to hear them too because osprey might be a bit rare

Alexander Stöhr

Hard picture, but legs are not strong enough for an osprey imo. More shouldnt they be bluish-grey? But I think they are some kind of dirtened with blood?
And the with areas in the tail more prominent an d clearer, not diluted brownish buffish?
Why not a Common Buzzard?

Dimitra_v

Greece
we have common buzzards in the area (who doesnt honestly) and I think if it were an osprey it would have darker wings, thank you all for your help

Users who are viewing this thread