• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decent tripod for less than £100? (1 Viewer)

Rob_S

'Father Christmas' has requested some guidance on my request for a tripod.

I was fortunate to pick up an Opticron MM3 60 on ebay earlier this year for a very reasonable price. Even that was pushing my finances though, so I went with a cheap tripod from Amazon (£16). For the money, it's been great, but it's clearly not a long-term option and I'm not getting the best out of the scope with it.

Any thoughts on a tripod for £100 or less? Including head etc. Lightweight but sturdy and with a solid, reliable mount so I can carry the tripid with the scope attached.

Another thumbs up for the Velbon Sherpa 200, used it for the last 3 years, light, sturdy, good head, excellent value for money. Pairs very well with my Pentax 65EDii.

Have a look at Zomei range on Amazon or eBay. For my money they are top notch and very well built. With usual top end features such as a hook to give stability and you can use one leg as a monopod.

D'oh, having just missed out on that WEX deal, what do folk think of the following for an ED50...

Sherpa 200R - £75
Sherpa 200 - £99 (Letter R aside I'm not actually sure what the difference is)
Manfrotto MK290XTA3-2W Aluminium Tripod Kit - £120 As listed above.

Cheers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hahnel-Triad-Compact-C5-Integrated/dp/B00HVZ9IM8

I bought one of these for my ED50, with the intention of using it very occasionally for short breaks. Turns out I use it everyday.

It's solid, full height (with an angled scope) and folds to about 12", despite the occasional tightening up (allen keys supplied) it's excellent. Head is very fluid and easy to use, though I would probably go for a more substantial head if I were using anything bigger than a small scope.

Thanks for the link.
Do you mean a spare Quick Release adaptor, or something else?

sorry for the delay - yes, the quick release adaptor, i think it's called. It holds the foot in, and has a spring-loaded mechanism. After a couple of years of sunlight, it can get brittle.

D'oh, having just missed out on that WEX deal, what do folk think of the following for an ED50...

Sherpa 200R - £75
Sherpa 200 - £99 (Letter R aside I'm not actually sure what the difference is)
Manfrotto MK290XTA3-2W Aluminium Tripod Kit - £120 As listed above.

Cheers

The 200R is a discontinued model but is nearly identical to the 200 which is the current line. The 200R doesn't come with a carry case whereas the 200 does.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back