• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dendrocolaptes picumnus casaresi Steullet & Deautier, 1950 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Dendrocolaptes picumnus casaresi Steullet & Deautier, 1950 OD here
Nos complace en designar esta subespecie en honor del doctor Jorge Casares, a cuya espontánea gestión se debe que el Museo de La Plata iniciase la publicación del "Catálogo sistemático de las aves de la República Argentina", de que somos autores.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims
Black-banded Woodcreeper ssp. Dendrocolaptes picumnus casaresi Steullet & Deautier, 1950
Dr Jorge Casares (DNF) was an Argentinian ornithologist. He wrote the biography W. H. Hudson, Argentine Ornithologist (1930).
The Key to Scientific Names
Dr Jorge Casares (fl. 1950) Argentinian ornithologist (subsp. Dendrocolaptes picumnus).

Here we can find:
Señor Jorge Casares, Buenos Aires, Argentinia, a reputed ornithologist born in a waelthy landowning family, also a relative of the renowned Argentinian fiction author Adolfo Bioy Casares (1914-1999), and a fellow of W. H. Hudson (1921-1982), an Argentinian-born British Naturalist and Ornithologist. He is praised to have donated his library to the Sociedad Ornitológica del Plata.

Similar we can read here. Here Casares, J. (1929) William Henry Hudson y su amor a los pájaros. Hornero 004 (03) : 277-289 (as well known as Guillermo Enrique Hudson).

Unfortnunately does not bring us closer to his life dates.

What I do not understand is here:
My friend , the late Don Jorge Casares , of Buenos Aires , sent me the manuscript of Hudson's Diary written during his trip from South America to England in the year 1874. Up to this time books on Hudson invariably repeated the error that he had left Buenos Aires in 1869. This book set the record straight as the diary was written from April 1, 1874, to May 3, which was the time required for the Ebri to make this voayage.

So W. H. Hudson (1921-1982) can't be correct. Or am I wrong? I would say Guillermo Enrique Hudson (1841-1922)

Hudson nació el 4 de agosto del año 1841 , en el partido de Quilmes , en el lugar donde hoy se conserva una vieja construcción llamada “

and here

Muere a los 81 años de edad, Guillermo Enrique Hudson, en la ciudad de Worthing, condado de Sussex, Inglaterra, donde había emigrado a sus 32 años, en 1874, víctima de una afección cardíaca. Fue ornitólogo y escritor, nació en un rancho de Los Veinticinco Ombúes, antes en el partido de Quilmes, hoy en el de Florencio Varela, provincia de Buenos Aires, el 4 de agosto de 1841.​

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back