• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

@birdnational: Staffordshire Rough-legged Buzzard btw Leek & Buxton W/of A53 SE/of Gradbach at Goldsitch Moss in valley viewable from road 15:00 showing well.

Whooper at last!

A very long overdue site tick today. I had spent a couple of hours in the hide due to the rain. I did go on to the mound first thing to see if there was anything moving but the rain beat me so I retreated to the hide. There wasn't a great deal on the main pool apart from 47 Teal, 7 Shoveler and some BH Gulls.

When the rain briefly stopped just after 10.30 I decided to have a walk up the lane towards the signals to see if there were any small birds about. There wasn't much to be honest although I did have 7 Herring Gulls go through SW. I walked to the signals and back, a walk of maybe 20 minutes. As I approached the main pool again I saw a single Swan on the main pool. Before I raised my bins I actually said to myself 'please be a Whooper, please be a Whooper'. Sad I know but I've wanted Whooper at Wyver for years.

Anyway, I raised my bins and sure enough It was a Whooper, get in! It obviously flew in whilst I had a walk up the lane. It never seemed settled and was constantly calling and head bobbing. Sure enough at 11.32 it took flight and flew South.

Having no camera I was keen to get some sort of record shot so I took a few phone scoped shots. Not great but good enough.

Attachments

• IMAG0900.jpg
    IMAG0900.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0905.jpg
    IMAG0905.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 44
Dan I like that cartoon.... wheres it from?
Congrats to Dave on the Whooper!

Just read the Glossy Ibis few into Ogston late afternoon today!

Love that artwork.

Yesterday at Carsi a bit of early morning movement of birds,
485 Wood Pigeon, 280 Starling,12 Fieldfare.
Also present a Green Sandpiper at Sheepwash, 2 Peregrine, 2 Kingfisher.
Two interesting bits of predation,

1. I disturbed what was obviously a Sparrowhawk outside Sheepwash hide where the remains of a Goldfinch were found (feathers only)

2. A mass disturbance in the gull roost, with the birds wheeling around continuously, eventually revealed Brutus the Yellow legged gull with his latest victim. He had grabbed a 1st winter Black headed gull and swiftly despatched it, before eating it on the bank.

I notice Dan is not letting on where this gems are coming from! Just who is the mystery artist?

Keep posting 'em though Dan... I think they are great!

'Twas indeed, I didn't expect him taking another gull somehow.
So his avian victims now include, Tufted Duck, Coot, Little Grebe and BHG or has he had Moorhen too?

Yes, Moorhen is on his list....and he does keep a list, I've seen it. He compiles it using his victims' blood.

A few bits from Wyver today. I gave the place a good grilling today and counted almost everything. There are 3 (probably more) Water Rails on site. I heard at least 2 around the main pool and at least 1 around the top marsh area. When I was around the top marsh area I flushed a flock of 29 Stock Doves. Easily the best count of the year.

The 2 Little Grebes are still around. 9 Cormorants into roost in trees opposite mound. 59 Teal, 6 Shoveler, 61 Mallards, 203 BH Gulls the best on the pools. 9 Snipe over at dusk together with 5 Mandarin. No Goosander in the roost yet. December/January is peak time for them but I thought there might be a few.

Other bits of note include 3 Buzzards, Kestrel, 2 Grey Wagtails, Little Owl, 2 Jays, Goldcrest and 2 Reed Buntings.

Well done Clive (took a while all!)
He's a young birder, and he's a very talented lad with the art.
I've asked him about doing them commercially as I'm sure he would make money out of it.
Would appreciate it if they don't get re used etc

Well done Clive (took a while all!)
He's a young birder, and he's a very talented lad with the art.
I've asked him about doing them commercially as I'm sure he would make money out of it.
Would appreciate it if they don't get re used etc

He's a local lad then? Certainly got a great style, i am sure he has a good future with his art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back