• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Don't be greedy Dan we've just had GI, saying that I dream of finding a decent Wheatear (sp) to test Glyn's I/D skills sic UAE (but I don't find em easy). My lad (who lives on the dark side) has seen both the Ibis & Wheatear today whilst taking my grandaughter back to Lincoln Uni :t: Ro

There has been a few good County birds recently to be fair your right. Albeit the Hoopoe was close to us and now this (not forgetting the Melodious!).
Do you think we get them and just dont find them?

Glyns good all round but knows his Wheatears - he was spot on with a BEW near Stiffkey campsite in 93. We came off Scillies and the following weekend went over there.

How is Kev? saw him in the summer down the Erewash with the dog. He had pics of a young Grass Snake he recently caught. Good day for him then with both birds!

How long ago was that one Dan? I remember seeing one there too years ago, those bunkers/and Loo Block etc I saw it on are in the sea now I think:eek!::eek!::eek!:

Steph'

Not sure Steph without checking but wouldnt be surprised if its the same one. It was past the Bluebell Cafe and left along the beach on the buildings there which, you are right, are now in the north sea!
I was with Tim Sexey but cant remember who else. I needed it back then hence the effort........

Not sure Steph without checking but wouldnt be surprised if its the same one. It was past the Bluebell Cafe and left along the beach on the buildings there which, you are right, are now in the north sea!
I was with Tim Sexey but cant remember who else. I needed it back then hence the effort........

That's the one I'm sure... 22nd October 1997 was one I've found in my notes/sketches, sandwiched between a Sib Rubythroat in Dorset, Blyths Reed at Flamboro' and a dodgy Purple Chicken (Gallinule) in Cumbria!

Not really the spot for this but hey... here's a pic Dan! I know I have a better photo but I cannot find it. Quite scary that this building no longer exists....

To keep on the Derbyshire theme though also here's a pic of the Glossy Ibis in a rain storm at Bakewell. The rain was a right pain in getting a sharp picture, I was huddled under a brolly, Tony D did better, he was braver!

ATB

Steph'

Attachments

• Pied Wheatear Spurn 1997.jpg
    Pied Wheatear Spurn 1997.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Glossy Ibis Bakewell.jpg
    Glossy Ibis Bakewell.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 55
There has been a few good County birds recently to be fair your right. Albeit the Hoopoe was close to us and now this (not forgetting the Melodious!).
Do you think we get them and just dont find them?

Glyns good all round but knows his Wheatears - he was spot on with a BEW near Stiffkey campsite in 93. We came off Scillies and the following weekend went over there.

How is Kev? saw him in the summer down the Erewash with the dog. He had pics of a young Grass Snake he recently caught. Good day for him then with both birds!

Dan
Kev is doing very well, and I am extremely proud of him he's really 'chilled' in respect of his birding and the only time I've known him 'gripped' was when his wife found the GW Egret at Erewash Meadows and he was 'tied up' with work so didn't manage to see it although others did. He wernt too chuffed with missing the Sinfin Rosy Starling (he was working away) as he's never seen a breeding plumaged adult ( I tried hard for him in India but with no luck)

Glyn good? after 20+ plus years 'in the field' with him I would suggest his I/D skills are excellent if not exceptional but even the best 'cock up' occasionally and we have been very close to exchanging blows several times in the past regarding I/D's (childish I know). With one 'incident' being a female wheatear in the Emirates where I (almost) got an apology out of him (and in front of others) but I still have the greatest of respect for him as a birder. The Notts bird is a classic Pied and I would have enjoyed seeing it but ce la vie.
Regards finding birds in the county I think the 'hot' spots are well covered but the' lesser' and obscure places are not covered all that well ( I'm sure Dave will think Wyver is not a hot spot) but his coverage deserves the upmost credit and it does have the potential so I'm sure he'll hit the jackpot in the future.
In over 50 years of county birding in diverse habitats I could count the rarities found on one hand (and I have put a hell of a lot of time in)
Notts also has the Trent meandering through which has created far more birding habitat so I don't begrudge them any of their good birds. I'm of the opinion far more birds are missed locally than are found so who knows whats 'passed' through. and been missed, it's the old adage--- right place at right time Anyway enough rambling 8-P Ro

Thanks Steph.
I thought it would have seemed odd if they were escapees but thought I'd ask as there seemed to be a few occurring and I didn't know if this was usual or not.

Anyone please advise where best to look for the GN Diver at Carsington?

Not seen it yet this winter but Stones Island is the best place to scan the reservoir from at any time for GNDiver as it gives the best vantage point.
Then once you have located it you can judge if its closer to any of the hides! In previous years they seem to have favoured the area off Fishtail Creek in thr late pm, but I have had stunning views from Millfields/dam before now

Dan
Kev is doing very well, and I am extremely proud of him he's really 'chilled' in respect of his birding and the only time I've known him 'gripped' was when his wife found the GW Egret at Erewash Meadows and he was 'tied up' with work so didn't manage to see it although others did. He wernt too chuffed with missing the Sinfin Rosy Starling (he was working away) as he's never seen a breeding plumaged adult ( I tried hard for him in India but with no luck)

Glyn good? after 20+ plus years 'in the field' with him I would suggest his I/D skills are excellent if not exceptional but even the best 'cock up' occasionally and we have been very close to exchanging blows several times in the past regarding I/D's (childish I know). With one 'incident' being a female wheatear in the Emirates where I (almost) got an apology out of him (and in front of others) but I still have the greatest of respect for him as a birder. The Notts bird is a classic Pied and I would have enjoyed seeing it but ce la vie.
Regards finding birds in the county I think the 'hot' spots are well covered but the' lesser' and obscure places are not covered all that well ( I'm sure Dave will think Wyver is not a hot spot) but his coverage deserves the upmost credit and it does have the potential so I'm sure he'll hit the jackpot in the future.
In over 50 years of county birding in diverse habitats I could count the rarities found on one hand (and I have put a hell of a lot of time in)
Notts also has the Trent meandering through which has created far more birding habitat so I don't begrudge them any of their good birds. I'm of the opinion far more birds are missed locally than are found so who knows whats 'passed' through. and been missed, it's the old adage--- right place at right time Anyway enough rambling 8-P Ro

We definately miss plenty - just look at what the Cathedral Peregrines catch in the dark that we never see!

Wyver gets good coverage nowadays from quite a few folk, some more than others (Dave obviously) and so it stands a good chance of stuff being seen. The more good records the more folk will go. It was one of the few muddy spots late summer too which helped. A few more people have decided to cover it and so turn stuff up (notably Jacko with Crakes, W Pipits etc) and Richard "Whooper" Taylor goes when he can. There are a few irregular visitors who I bump into occasionally including a guy from Wirksworth whos name escapes me. I bet it gets more coverage than Erewash Meadows nowadays, easily.

But right place right time is key I'm sure. I quite enjoy finding new birds on the area round home up to Bessalone woods and including the woods opposite home. You get that buzz again when its a new bird for "the patch" and that happens more often when its a spot only one or two cover. Crossbills at Wyver are nice birds but would be even better in the larches up there as they would be new etc.

We have some banter with the Notts lot re what they get and what we do. When BB rare breeding birds edition is out I go through it to see who comes out top! What they would give for Red Grouse! Anyway, Derbyshire is our County, nowt we can do about that..........:t:

We definately miss plenty - just look at what the Cathedral Peregrines catch in the dark that we never see!

Wyver gets good coverage nowadays from quite a few folk, some more than others (Dave obviously) and so it stands a good chance of stuff being seen. The more good records the more folk will go. It was one of the few muddy spots late summer too which helped. A few more people have decided to cover it and so turn stuff up (notably Jacko with Crakes, W Pipits etc) and Richard "Whooper" Taylor goes when he can. There are a few irregular visitors who I bump into occasionally including a guy from Wirksworth whos name escapes me. I bet it gets more coverage than Erewash Meadows nowadays, easily.

But right place right time is key I'm sure. I quite enjoy finding new birds on the area round home up to Bessalone woods and including the woods opposite home. You get that buzz again when its a new bird for "the patch" and that happens more often when its a spot only one or two cover. Crossbills at Wyver are nice birds but would be even better in the larches up there as they would be new etc.

We have some banter with the Notts lot re what they get and what we do. When BB rare breeding birds edition is out I go through it to see who comes out top! What they would give for Red Grouse! Anyway, Derbyshire is our County, nowt we can do about that..........:t:

Been transferrig my notes(?) from book form to computer (getting bored with Jeremy Kyle;)) and just doing 1988. Re the Cathedral Peregrines I made a lot of visits to Derby Sewage Farm and looking back it was an absolute jewel of a site and it's suprised me just how many species of wader and duck I recorded there. Only ever saw one other birder there (RAF) in the c5 years I was visiting so what was missed? Also in 1988 the counties first Yellow-browed Warbler was found (by Louie whist walking his dog), he rang me at work so I made my excuses and left for the site (Breadsall Cutting). To cut a long story short I visited the site on 14 occasions spending over 32 hours there and never did see it (interspersed by the annual sojuorn to the Scillies)
whilst Lou ( another top birder (twitcher) connected 4/5 more times.
I too get a bigger 'kick' from decent birds locally than 'megas' on Shetland/Scilly but, like Glyn, listing is secondary to birding ( and I would never count a 'plastic' on any list, although I've seen them all in Britain except Marbled Duck). Just hoping I can do an 'Arnie' next year as my new local patch, DWT Woodside, has given me some impetus to get out and about.

Last edited:
Been transferrig my notes(?) from book form to computer (getting bored with Jeremy Kyle;)) and just doing 1988. Re the Cathedral Peregrines I made a lot of visits to Derby Sewage Farm and looking back it was an absolute jewel of a site and it's suprised me just how many species of wader and duck I recorded there. Only ever saw one other birder there (RAF) in the c5 years I was visiting so what was missed? Also in 1988 the counties first Yellow-browed Warbler was found (by Louie whist walking his dog), he rang me at work so I made my excuses and left for the site (Breadsall Cutting). To cut a long story short I visited the site on 14 occasions spending over 32 hours there and never did see it (interspersed by the annual sojuorn to the Scillies)
whilst Lou ( another top birder (twitcher) connected 4/5 more times.
I too get a bigger 'kick' from decent birds locally than 'megas' on Shetland/Scilly but, like Glyn, listing is secondary to birding ( and I would never count a 'plastic' on any list, although I've seen them all in Britain except Marbled Duck). Just hoping I can do an 'Arnie' next year as my new local patch, DWT Woodside, has given me some impetus to get out and about.

Where's Arnie then Roland, have you moved north?

Where's Arnie then Roland, have you moved north?

Unfortunately not Clive, think my next move will be to Markeaton (Crem).
For the past 3+ years I've been basically stuck with the 'Gogglebox' day in and day out (definitely not recommended) and whilst watching a (rubbish) Schwarznegger film (can't remember the title) he came out with the phrase 'I'll be back' and it just struck me as being very appropiate in relation to my circumstances.;) Just hope I can emulate him

Not seen it yet this winter but Stones Island is the best place to scan the reservoir from at any time for GNDiver as it gives the best vantage point.
Then once you have located it you can judge if its closer to any of the hides! In previous years they seem to have favoured the area off Fishtail Creek in thr late pm, but I have had stunning views from Millfields/dam before now

Thanks Steph.

Unfortunately not Clive, think my next move will be to Markeaton (Crem).
For the past 3+ years I've been basically stuck with the 'Gogglebox' day in and day out (definitely not recommended) and whilst watching a (rubbish) Schwarznegger film (can't remember the title) he came out with the phrase 'I'll be back' and it just struck me as being very appropiate in relation to my circumstances.;) Just hope I can emulate him

Sense of humour very much intact though.

Thanks for interpreting it the right way Clive, we must be on the same 'wave length':t:. A sense of humour is essential when associating with Glyn;)

..and as for being on the same wave length I see your avator says miserable old git, yeah that's me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back