• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

Some pics from chatsworth.

Been discussing your pics with Tim Allwood this afto as the top right bird looks interesting.
Where abouts at Chatsworth? Is it the plantation along the river?
It's produced some interesting debate with a few other groups but may still be just Common. Some nice pics anyway.
Lone Hawfinch another good record.

Hi Daniel, thanks for the thoughts on the top right bird, it was the area you mention, just before you go down the hill which has got the steps. They also flew towards endsor church area as well.

Since I took the pics off the camera and looking at this bird, I was intrigued by this one as it looked different.

Been discussing your pics with Tim Allwood this afto as the top right bird looks interesting.
Where abouts at Chatsworth? Is it the plantation along the river?
It's produced some interesting debate with a few other groups but may still be just Common. Some nice pics anyway.
Lone Hawfinch another good record.

That bill certainly looks interesting, worth some one checking them out.

Hopefully someone can see them, my experience of other crossbill sp is not that great, having only seen 2 barred crossbill for the first time this year. I can't get back up there this week. I might stick it in the id thread.

Most of the feedback to me over night has been for Common and these guys have been looking at the Suffolk Parrots for a while.
They agree that it's at the extreme end for Common but it doesn't have a feel of Parrot for them.
Having said that its provided enough interest for a few to look for them today.
Update from Steph later perhaps.
Just goes to show how difficult they can be and even a clear photo like this may not clinch it.

Thanks for the feedback Daniel, if you could pass on my thanks to all who have discussed the pics. Much appreciated :t:

Hopefully they are still around and been picked up.

No good news from me, no Crossbills around at all in the plantation this pm! Still a very pleasant afternoon in the sun!

Looking at the photo I agree with Dan at the moment, very interesting bird, extreme end of Common? I'd respect the views of those birders who have seen Parrot recently as I've not seen anything but Commons (and one interesting female east coast bird a few weeks ago!) for a long time, I'm wary of the angle as well, being front on it could be exaggerating the bill shape. Don't suppose you have any other pics of this individual in the stream you took Michael? Even dodgy ones?

ATB

There are a few large billed Crossbills around in the UK that I believe may be of European origin?

Thanks for having a look Steph, I have other pics which I will sort at as soon as I can. Jane mentioned sound on the id thread, I need to listen to calls for parrot and common to compare.

Dad sends his best wishes too :t:

Some more pics

The bird in the set of 2 pics was photographed before the other one in question. Not sure if the bottom left bird in the set of 5 is the same bird. There were 3 males that I counted in the flock

Attachments

• crossbill id.jpg
    crossbill id.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 67
  • crossbill id 2.jpg
    crossbill id 2.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Might have heard WWing in Belper earlier... I'm being very cautious as I was just getting out of the car and I half heard the calls.... I couldn't see anything or hear them again so it could just have been a distant phone or something:-O:-O:-O;) but I thought I'd mention it just in case any one else hears anything, I also have a slight doubt as we haven't had many come in yet have we...

ATB

Steph'

Still 5 Scaup at Carsington, no sign of the GND though but that doesn't mean it's gone. Later when I had got home Roger rang to say there were 4 Bewick's near watersports, which promptly flew a few minutes before I returned!
The first of the wind turbines is now up on Carsington pasture.

Attachments

• 087.JPG
    087.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 48
I'm not sure where they are best viewed from Anna but if you check out google maps for Stoney Middlton you will see a road left off the A623 called Middleton Lane leading to Thunderpit Lane....its a steep hill! You will see lagoons at the top marked on the map. Not sure where the best viewing is as I haven't been up for this roost. But if you get there early you should be able to judge a good view point hopefully as they start to arrive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back