• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure where they are best viewed from Anna but if you check out google maps for Stoney Middlton you will see a road left off the A623 called Middleton Lane leading to Thunderpit Lane....its a steep hill! You will see lagoons at the top marked on the map. Not sure where the best viewing is as I haven't been up for this roost. But if you get there early you should be able to judge a good view point hopefully as they start to arrive?

From what I know the roost is viewed from the hide on Thunderpit Lane itself ie not the main lagoons. If you drive down the lane there is a gate on the right marked no access, this is however the access point. I have never been to this hide but apparently just walk up the hill and it is somewhere over there. Ah I see Steph has sent you up the Lane from Stoney Middleton, in that case the gate will be on your left when you have passed the mill.

I went to the starling roost last night and was surprised once the main flock had gone down to roost quite a few big flocks came in afterwards.

I went to the starling roost last night and was surprised once the main flock had gone down to roost quite a few big flocks came in afterwards.

Was there too Anna, always a fantastic sight isn't it. As we left ,after the main groups had dropped in, we kept on seeing more flying towards the roost. As we drove towards Ashford a Peregrine was having a go at another large flock.

Was there too Anna, always a fantastic sight isn't it. As we left ,after the main groups had dropped in, we kept on seeing more flying towards the roost. As we drove towards Ashford a Peregrine was having a go at another large flock.

How come there were so many late comers to the flock? I went last night too and there were a few pretty big flocks coming in afterwards how come they're coming later?

Did they do much swirling around before dropping in? Seems to vary at roosts as to how much they do in the air before finally roosting.
ATB

Derbyshire 2 3rd Winter Caspian Gull Foremark Resv in roost + Adult Glaucous Gull, 7 Yellow-legged Gull & Adult Med Gull SK311229
Some good winter gulls about. Most are at Albert village in the day.

How come there were so many late comers to the flock? I went last night too and there were a few pretty big flocks coming in afterwards how come they're coming later?

No idea on that Anna, in other roosts I have seen they seem to start building up on the fields nearby, before all roosting pretty much together. We hardly saw a Starling the other night until 20-30 minutes before the roost ended, so they were all leaving it a bit late.

Back to Glossy Ibis, I have just finished reading Octobers BB (there was a lot in it!) as its the rare bird report edition for 2012.
Appendix 4 has Glossy Ibis, Alvaston, 13th April - rejected.
Also, Glossy Ibis Avenue Washlands 11th November - rejected.

It makes it an even better record this year now!

Just read pager message that there has been 2 Parrot Crossbills in the Goyt Valley today. Pager says from Erwood Sailing club car park at dam end of Erwood Res take track into forest to clearing with large puddle. With Common Crossbills.

I've asked on the Goyt thread if anyone has further info. It was I suppose only a matter of time before we got them or Two barred....

ATB

Steph'

Not sure whats going on, the first message read as if the birds had been seen today, now we have just had a message saying late news 2 poss photographed on Sunday. Not sure if both messages relate to the same sighting or if they are different.

Directions on the second message are different, from NW corner of Erwood Res park at top of car park on the street, go through gate and take track for 1/4mile into forest to view clearings?

ATB

Steph'

From what I've heard it's a bit like the Chatsworth bird - interesting but prob Commons.
Not easy!

Brambling building up in the garden to 6 and Richards seen/heard more in the woods opposite. Redwing taking all our Holly berries too.

From what I've heard it's a bit like the Chatsworth bird - interesting but prob Commons.
Not easy!

Brambling building up in the garden to 6 and Richards seen/heard more in the woods opposite. Redwing taking all our Holly berries too.

:-C:-C Bramblings have not come down the hill yet to us:-C:-C

The Crossbill pics are over on the "other place". Look like big billed Commons, don't really look like they have got the right profile of the bill. Sort of square as Brian S pointed out over there!

There have to be some rare Crossbills in Derbyshire somewhere though I'm sure....

ATB

Steph'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back