• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

For those interested.... Sib Chiffy at Carr Vale it appears, on the embankment with 2 Chiffchaff (off pager this pm).

ATB

Interesting indeed. At Carsi today, GND, 2 YLG best of the sightings. A few photos attached.

Attachments

• 092.JPG
    092.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 097.JPG
    097.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 098.JPG
    098.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 67
Just to clarify the Redshank shot is a bird with a missing left foot, 2 shots of "Brutus", the now 3 wind turbines on Carsi Pasture and a couple of Goldeneye.

Just to clarify the Redshank shot is a bird with a missing left foot, 2 shots of "Brutus", the now 3 wind turbines on Carsi Pasture and a couple of Goldeneye.

It's lucky to only be missing its left foot if it was shot. B :)
I wonder if it's the young bird from Carsi that was clearly limping in the summer.

Did they do much swirling around before dropping in? Seems to vary at roosts as to how much they do in the air before finally roosting.
ATB

Hi Steph,

So sorry for the late reply been on holiday for a few days.

I went back last night too and there was a bit of swirling but not a lot. The numbers have definitely increased though there was what seemed to be the main flock which consisted of a good 100,000 birds but massive flocks came in afterwards. These 'late' flocks consisted of a good 10,000 each and there much have been 4 or 5 of these. They all went down very quickly. The late locks came over the fields and went straight down.

Thanks Anna, I was wondering if I would go up to get photo's, but I haven't had time yet anyway LOL!

On another note I see there is a wintering Lesser Whitethroat in a private garden in Eggington, I cannot help having an idle thought that it just might be one of these eastern type birds? Be nice to see a picture.... Then again given the amount of Swallows that keep getting reported in the UK or the Whinchat or the other "summer" visitors that are still hanging on in the UK this year that it is probably just one of our birds not bothering to move far!!

ATB

Steph'

Hiya Gomphus; picture in DOS gallery on their website

Cheers!

Just looked... looks interesting in that it appears to have quite short primary projection in that pic (always difficult to judge stuff on one pic though), but underside looks a bit white (same as before though, one pic makes life difficult! Looking at the photo it might be a tad over exposed? That makes the upperpart colour difficult to judge too, it looks a bit sandy brown toned on the picture, but I'm not happy judging that really on this photo as I say)... be nice to see pic showing head better too! And of course the tail pattern! I always ask too much:-O:-O:-O:-O Of course call is another factor but I'm guessing all this has already been looked into by others though....

ATB

Steph'

Last edited:
Message from Martin Roome

For anyone interested in such things Dipper and I have had a gull in the roost showing( with the usual caveat re hybrids etc) several characteristics of Thayers Gull tonight.
Found initially very close in to the Main Car-park before being lost chasing other gulls but refound later and watched for 30mins or so flying, bathing and then out of the water preening on the 'spit' before being lost in the gloom.

Of course this is Foremark. Also....

"1st winter; found it early on and very close in; first view was 3/4 face on when I thought it was an Iceland til it turned and revealed chocolate pps with a lovely pale rim around the fringe; very distinctive plus all dark bill and darkish mask around the eye; I watched it for a couple of minutes while trying to phone Dipper and Rod but it then flew off with a group of gulls displaying a mid-brown tail band and darker secs.
Rod wasnt on site and by the time Dipper appeared it had vanished but luckily I refound it flying towards the spit.
Pale underside to pps noted plus the venetian blind pattern in the upper pps with pale pearl drops at tips of inner pps..
It spentsome time preening and plunge bathing before flying to the spit where it spent some time preening Dipper got some shots of it here!!) before flying off into the gloom. Generally structure was Icelandic and as the light faded it got paler looking!
All in all a very distinctive gull (whatever it is!!)"
MR.

Surely a similar "type" to that Poolsbrook effort Steph?

Having only glimpsed that bird:-C I can only go on the photos.... I know at least one very good birder is happy that was a Thayers.

Glad Martin says Iceland type, I believe there have been a good number of Viking gulls about in the UK this autumn.... mind you those two would have thought about that anyway when watching it!

atb

Continuing the gull theme, there was an adult Med in the roost at Carsington tonight. Also 2 YLG, hundreds of Common gulls and a leucistic Black headed gull with a snow white mantle

Hope to get down to Foremark tomorrow, Xmas shopping today so gripping to hear the bird (whatever it is) was in again... Going to be charging up my ancient video camera in hope!

If I can set off earlier I might try Albert Village lake perhaps? I wonder if anyone looked there today? Failed Xmas shopping prevented me going today:-C:-C

I see the Lesser Whitethroat is still in Eggington too, does anyone know if it is visible outside the private garden? I'd like to see it but loathe to bird in a village given the difficulties.

atb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back