• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (14 Viewers)

I really didn't think things could get any better than finding the Little Gull the other day...but I was wrong. I didn't have long this morning as I had dentist but went down for a couple of hours. I had a quick scan from the lane but didn't pick anything of note. I made my way to the hide for a more thorough scan when there just to the left of the hide was an adult Kittiwake!

Holy shit an absolute mega for Wyver. I couldn't believe it after finding the Little Gull just 2 days ago. It only stayed for a couple of minutes and after a quick bathe it flew off NE with some BH Gulls. This is a first for me at Wyver and the first record since March 1997.

Up at Carsington this afternoon and the Jack Snipe was showing v well at the Wildlife Centre. The ad G.N.Diver is looking smarter by the day. The Barwit is still around too.

There was a report of a Great Grey Shrike between Sheepwash and the brick tower this afternoon. I spent around 90 mins searching but saw nothing.

Up at Carsington with Dave yesterday. A dull wet day was brightened with the appearance of an Osprey coming in from the south. We watched it soaring round for nearly 20 minutes, attracting the attention of a couple of the local buzzards and bh gulls, before losing to sight over Fishtail creek. Dave reported seeing it again later in the afternoon.
The other highlight was a Carsington rarity, in the form of a drake Mandarin.
Dave also had yellow Wag later.

Absolutely brilliant end to the day at Carsington this evening. I was standing on the bronze age mound on Stones Island with John B shortly after 19.30 hrs.
John picked out an Egret sp flying towards the Wildlife Centre so flying away from us. John at first thought it was going to be the Little Egret that Roger had seen earlier......as did I.

In fact, if it had kept flying away from us we would more than likely have left it as Little Egret. Fortunately it turned around and flew towards us. It was then that John said hang on It's got a yellow bill. We then thought Great White......but it was too small.

I then said is it a Cattle Egret!? John agreed and we watched it as it dropped onto the back of watersports island. We could see the yellow bill and the golden plumes on its head. We started walking towards watersports to try and look around the back of the island. But as we got to the causeway it took flight and flew towards Stones Island. We searched but couldn't relocate it in the fading light.

I guess it could have gone down somewhere but, equally it could have left site.
This is the first record of Cattle Egret at Carsington. Jokingly we asked Roger if he was sure the Egret he had was Little. But he saw the yellow feet so yes it was a Little Egret he had.

A visit to Wyver today produced the first Common Sandpiper of the year. A pair of Mandarin, 6 Gadwall, 12Teal,3 Tufted Ducks, Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swansand 81BHGullsspread around both pools. The 2 Oycs on the island. 3 Buzzards and a Kestrel the only raptors. I had a walk to the top marsh and sat down for a while just watching and waiting. Patience paid off when a WaterRailscurried acrossoneof thechannels.

A walk around the whole reserve produced 9 Chiffchaffs and 5 Blackcaps. At least 5 Reed Buntingsinc several singing males. 45 Swallows and 9+ Sand Martins through.

Spring around at WGP yesterday pm with 2 Yellow Wags for 30 mins, 2 LRP, 1 White Wag, 2 Swallows, 2 Willow Warblers, at least 5 Blackcap, 6 Chiffchaff. RJ had a Lesser Whitethroat am.

Red Kite, Belper

Driving home up Broadholme Lane and happened to glance up the hill towards the woods, noted a Buzzard and another bird just hanging on the ridge. I said to Max it looked like a "child's kite" as it was so still but he said "no it's a Red Kite!". It had floated over from Wyver side.
Reversed up quick and there it was. No bins etc so took this pic and phoned Richard. He was in and soon bouncing down the lane with scope and two pairs of bins! It moved further up so we watched it from the lane near Dunge Farm. Text Dave who was on his way back from Carsi and turned down Wyver to try from there. Tried Stef and also got Tim Allwood down to it as he was back visiting from Norfolk - a new tick for his old patch.
We saw it on the field several times taking worms and seemingly feeding on the wing. It has a yellow tag, poss AJF and looked settled late on so may linger. Me and Tim had it perched up too.
One of my favourite birds and 4th from the lane in 3 years. His big brother found me the last one so they are even now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back