• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

Can't believe how few posts there are on here these days. I guess the Derbyshire Facebook group probably has a lot to do with it which is a shame. Would be nice to keep this thread updated.

I know it's fairly quiet at this time of year but this thread has been quiet since last year. Anyway, while I'm here there's 9 Common Scoter at Carsington off Stones Island, and 3 Barwits at Willington in front of the hide on dead goose island.

Must admit I've not used it much recently as no one seemed to be posting. Nice to see it starting up again. My only complaint is the way the posts are getting further and further away. People have to remember to click <last> otherwise they don't see recent comments :(

Squacco Heron - 08.06.2016...

Hi All.

The observers of the Squacco Heron (Mr. T and Mrs. V. Pells, my 'in-laws') have passed on to me copies of the two photos they took of it, the untouched but compressed originals and my 'shopped crops' of each which I have included here. On holiday in the area, they are essentially walkers with an interest in birds and saw the heron at approximately 10:30am on 8th June 2016 as they were walking eastwards along the south bank of the Trent & Mersey Canal to the north-east of Burton upon Trent and south of Egginton. With the OS Explorer map 245 - The National Forest, the grid reference for the sighting (location of bird) was given to me as SK 271 270. The photo's were taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1 in 'Landscape' mode, 1/160th sec at f/5.9, ISO 100, focal length of 45mm, 0 step exposure bias. The bird wasn't seen in flight at all but they assured me that it was a living bird and not a model!

If any further details are required (regarding submission of the record etc.) I can be contacted by PM...

Kind regards,

James

Attachments

• Squacco 1 orig compressed.JPG
    Squacco 1 orig compressed.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Squacco 2 orig compressed.JPG
    Squacco 2 orig compressed.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Squacco (1 crop) - 08.06.2016.jpg
    Squacco (1 crop) - 08.06.2016.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Squacco (2 crop) - 08.06.2016.jpg
    Squacco (2 crop) - 08.06.2016.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
James, thanks for posting this. I know the county recorder looks on here from time to time so will hopefully see your post. There may well be enough info in your post for a submission. If not, maybe the recorder can contact me regarding any more info he will require, then I will contact you accordingly.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Although the Birds of Derbyshire suggests Gadwall have bred at Carsington before in 2006 we believe it to be an error. The Carsington Bird Club report from that year even states 'it is surprisisng that, with at least 1 pair present throughout their breeding season, no signs of breeding occurred.

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the breeding Gadwall at Carsington. As I stated above, the breeding record for 2006 is an error.
And on June 10th 2005 a male was seen with 12 female/juveniles that were an obvious fledged family party. This has been interpreted as a breeding record for Carsington. However, the 2005 Carsington Bird Club report says 'An observation of one male plus 12 fermale/juveniles on 10th June could well have been a grown family but not thought to have bred on site'.

Anyway, text from RMRJ at 07.47 this morning regarding a Great White Egret at Willington that flew from platform 1 towards the back pools.

Some records from Carsington today.

5 Little Egrets, initially at Millfields then separating and dispersing around the southern half of the res. 19 Common Sandpipers (flock of 13 on the dam wall, 4 on Stones, 2 at Sheepwash). 1 Yellow Wag south over the dam wall at 0630. Brood of 3 small Tufted at Millfields. 22 Barnacle Geese. Neck-collared Greylag still present. 32 Mute Swans (plus 4 cygnets). 4 fledged Kestrels at top of WLC creek. Kingfisher at Paul Stanley. Sedge Warbler on Stones. All from Simon Roddis.

Both the Little Egret and Common Sand counts are site records. There's been several counts of 4 Egrets but never 5. And the previous record of Com Sand was 18 on July 18th 2011

Last edited:
Adult Sabs Gull at Carr Vale this morning but no further sign by mid morning. Cracking bird for the county. Great White Egret still at Willington from the hide.

Sabs Gull still at Carr Vale today showing exceptionally well on the southern flash. Park at the Stockley Trail car park at the south end of riverside way. Walk south to sewage works towards the small footbridge then turn left over the footbridge and follow the track to the flash.

5 Little Egrets at Ogston and a Green Sand at Carsington.

Sabs Gull at Carr Vale this morning. The only way I could post it here was to heavily crop it.

Attachments

• _20160714_161409.jpg
    _20160714_161409.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 80
I'm thinking of visiting Carr Vale tomorrow, its completely new to me. Can someone give me details of how to access and park. DaveN says Stockley Trail car park but on the only map I can find there seems to be a road from roundabout with Gateway Sculpture with a car park nearby. Is this the one Dave refers to please. Apologies if seemingly daft questions but hard to tell from map.

Thanks, Phil

Think have sorted it now, orientation of map was not NS, now found a good one by zooming in on Streetmap. I assume the Sabs is frequenting the pool immediately South of Carr Vale Flash. Will have a go tomorrow for a year tick!

Thanks, Phil

Sorry me again. Has anyone got a site for whinchat around Carr Vale for between there and Chapel-en-le-frith. Struggling this year for one. Many thanks. Phil

Caspian Tern at Carr Vale this morning viewable from the mound. CV strikes gold again! This is the 8th county record with the last being a 2nd summer at Willington GP's in 2007.

11 Common Scoter at Carsington from stones island then flew west. Garganey at Willington from the hide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back