• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Desert Island ID Guides (1 Viewer)

yaffle27

As a relative novice, I’m steadily trying to collect a small library of ID guides, to lear more about birds elsewhere in the world and to cover me for most birding eventualities (UK birding and hopefully occasional jaunts to more exotic locales). So far, I have the Collins Bird Guide - Svensson, Helm Bird Identification - Vinicombe et al, Oceanic Birds of the World - Howell, and (on the way) Shorebirds - Hayman et al. Acquiring one of Gulls of the World (Olsen) or Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America (Olsen) also seems like an eventuality.

So, in the spirit of desert island discs, to help myself and hopefully other beginners; if you were restricted to a library of eight key books to refer to for all things birding, what would you choose?

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/home Unfortunately I cannot provide a link that provides rebate to either you or me.

for free but also related: ebird.org

Returning to real books: I would start with a library of field guides for areas you are really likely to visit rather than a library of handbooks of different groups. The latter will simply weigh too much when you go traveling. And if you are not expecting to go traveling, look into books on bird behavior, migration, etc.

Niels

Andy Adcock

England
https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/home Unfortunately I cannot provide a link that provides rebate to either you or me.

for free but also related: ebird.org

Returning to real books: I would start with a library of field guides for areas you are really likely to visit rather than a library of handbooks of different groups. The latter will simply weigh too much when you go traveling. And if you are not expecting to go traveling, look into books on bird behavior, migration, etc.

Niels
I think you're missing the point Niels.

It's a hypotheical based on a long runing radiow show in the UK called 'Desert Island Discs' where various celebrities would go on the show and have to choose which music they'd take if they were marooned on a desert Island.

Based on the likelihood of where one might be stranded, geographically, my books would be.

Birds of the West Indies, Lynx
Argentina, Helm
Birds of the Atlantica Islands, Tony Clarke
Australia, Menkhorst et al
Indonesia, Eaton et al, purely for the geographical ground, covered
Seabirds, I'd wait to get marooned until Peter Harrison's new book is available.
Raptors of the World, Ferguson-Lees and Christy.
Birds Brittanica, Cocker and Mabey just for some variety.

Last edited:

yaffle27

Niels, I'm sorry my reference was less clear than I thought, and thank you to Andy for the explanation of Desert Island Discs. For clarity, feel free to pick books for a hypothetical island, a selection relevant to your own birding or a broad selection to cover all eventualities.

Best wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread