• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (3 Viewers)

3 Whitethroat, 1 Blackcap, 1 Wheatear, 2 Red Legged Partridge, 1 Kestrel, 1 Buzzard, several Chiffchaff, 100+ Swallow unless they were flying around and around in large circles, 3 Raven, 11 Curlew, c50 Oystercatcher, 1 Cormorant, c10 Linnet, several Blackbird, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Dunnock, Robin, Pigeon, Magpie, Herring Gull, Starling, Greenfinch, Goldfinch

an enjoyable time watching a basking Chaffinch

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Working in the reserve at Bradiford Water this morning when the White Stork flew over, circling for about ten minutes before heading on west. Ironically Malcolm Shakespeare had been on his bike looking along the Traka Trail nearby about an hour before, and had gone back south of the river. He had earlier called me to alert me to a singing Lesser Whitethroat on the Tarka Trail, which I also later saw. Good morning's work!

3 Whitethroat, 3 Wheatear, c8 Sedge Warbler, the sound of 1 grasshopper Warbler? several Swallow 1 Raven being buzzed by Crow at one point the Raven performed a low level barrel roll, c7 Linnet, several Blackbird, Jackdaw, Rook, Dunnock, Robin, Pigeon, Magpie, Herring Gull, Starling, Goldfinch

plus 1 Kestrel, 5 Whimbrel, c2 Yellowhammer, 3 Stonechat, 1 Cormorant, c20 Oystercatcher

..................................lucky as no TV in our house - besides just look at this stunning couple of Yellowhammers

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 39 pm april 037.JPG
    39 pm april 037.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
White Stork
River Torridge nr Weare Giffard 10:30

Managed a few distant shots through hedge and trees as the bird was feeding in the River. Last seen way up high and drifting over Torrington direction - cracking bird !!! More shots to follow.

Attachments

• stork 1.jpg
    stork 1.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 123
Northam Burrows:- 29/04/2011
Plenty of Wheatear's around this year - the males are looking stunning at the moment. I particularly like the tail spread in this one (click for large image).

Attachments

• wheat1.jpg
    wheat1.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 111
I particularly like the tail spread in this one QUOTE]

Fantastic pictures Roy. Love the tail shot - thanks for that.

Today very pleased to see 2 Canada Geese and 2 Gosling wading up the river. Great sight.

Spectacular display by 2 Oystercatchers today. Very noisy and very close to each other. It seemed like one was chasing the other and all sorts of advoiding action was going on. This lasted for some 5 minutes with a very close view of the action at one point!

Also yesterday we were most interested to see the habits of 2 Magpies which were following a fox down the field and then back up the field again. Sometimes the Magpies were only 15 metres away on the ground from the fox.

Sorry no pictures of the Magpie - I wonder if there is something special about this fox?

Attachments

• 39 pm april 044.jpg
    39 pm april 044.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
3 female & 2 male Wheatear, c4 Yellowhammer, c7 Whitethroat, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Raven, 1 Rock Pipit, 1 White Wagtail, c50 Swallow with several Sand Martin among them, c10 Linnet, plus Oystercatcher, Herring Gull, c5 Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Crow, several Blackbird, Jackdaw, Rook, Dunnock, Pigeon, Magpie, Starling

Velator reserve ringing session this morning:
3 Reed Warblers
1 Willow Warbler
2 Chaffinch
1 House Sparrow
1 Wood Pigeon
1 Whitethroat (first ringed here)
1 White Wagtail (also first ringed here)
17 Sedge Warblers
1 Sedge Warbler with a Belgian ring on! (first foreign control here)
Also seen: 2 Peregrine over.
Also heard: Cuckoo in the reserve, this is the first I've heard in this part of (or come to think of it any part of) North Devon for many years.

Hi all, I spent a week walking and birding in the Salcombe area a couple of weeks ago. We sat on a bench on the coast path to have our lunch one day and up popped a Dartford Warbler. We sat for around 30 minutes and the bird kept showing well from various gorse and bramble thickets but never called or sang. I emailed Devon Birds as I thought it might be a case of keeping the location quiet but I never had a reply. So I thought I'd let you know. I've not seen a DW in Devon before but have seen a few in Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave

Hi all, I spent a week walking and birding in the Salcombe area a couple of weeks ago. We sat on a bench on the coast path to have our lunch one day and up popped a Dartford Warbler. We sat for around 30 minutes and the bird kept showing well from various gorse and bramble thickets but never called or sang. I emailed Devon Birds as I thought it might be a case of keeping the location quiet but I never had a reply. So I thought I'd let you know. I've not seen a DW in Devon before but have seen a few in Suffolk.

Cheers

Dave
There are quite a few Dartford sites in Devon Dave but like you say they are mostly kept quite about.

Hi, I've had an email with a link to the county recorder so I will pass the news onto him. I will not reveal the actual location as I know they are under pressure. Lovely and unexpected bird to see though.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry that you didn't get a reply to your email. We have had issues with some of the @devonbirds.org email addresses, but all seems fine now.

If you could send me details of where you saw it that would be great. Dartfords are one of the species that have appeared to have taken a hammering during the freezing coniditions last winter.

Cheers

Steve

I had a single Dartford calling on an East Devon Local Nature Reserve a few weeks ago - a very quiet spring for these charming little guys.

James

Yesterday,

Whitethroat, Blackcap, 1 Kestrel, several Chiffchaff, c50 Swallow, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 4 female Wheatear, 4 Whimbrel, 1 Song Thrush, 1 House Martin, several Sand Martin, 4 Raven,1 Wren, c20 Oystercatcher, c12 Linnet, several Blackbird, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Dunnock, Robin, Pigeon, Collared Dove, Magpie, Herring Gull, Starling, Pheasant, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Blue and Great Tit

Today,

Great to have our first sightings of Swifts this year (2) plus a young Dipper being fed, 1 Kestrel, several Chiffchaff, 4 Canada Geese, 1 Song Thrush, 1 Wren, several Blackbird, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Dunnock, Robin, Pigeon, Magpie, Herring Gull, Starling, Pheasant, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Blue Tit

c4 Whitethroat, several Chiffchaff, c7 Swallow, 2 female Wheatear, 1 Whimbrel, 1 Song Thrush, 3 Raven, 2 Rock Pipit, 2 Yellowhammer, 3 Stonechat, c7 Linnet, several Blackbird, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Dunnock, Robin, Pigeon, Magpie, Herring Gull, Starling, Pheasant, Greenfinch, Blue and Great Tit

Attachments

• 7 may 2011 164.JPG
    7 may 2011 164.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 7 may 2011 147.jpg
    7 may 2011 147.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 107
  • raven juvenile closeup 7 may 2011.jpg
    raven juvenile closeup 7 may 2011.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Sunday on Lundy for doctor,

It was a windy day!

Rock Pipit, 1 Peregrine, Wheatear, Skylark, Oystercatcher, Razorbill, Guillemot, Gannet, Kittiwake, Great Black-Backed Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Fulmar, Manx Shearwater

Tuesday today

8 Whimbrel, 5 Wheatear, 4 Shelduck, 4 Canada Geese (flying over) 1 Dunlin, Skylark, Swallow, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, 2 Mallard, Crow, Rook, Magpie, Jackdaw, Linnet, House Sparrow, Starling, Pigeon, Herring Gull, Goldfinch, Blackbird

Attachments

• dunlin 3c 10 may 2011.jpg
    dunlin 3c 10 may 2011.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Somewhere in North devon

Little Egret x 1, 1 Dipper, 1 Reed Bunting, 1 Little Grebe, c20 Whimbrel, 14 Shelduck, Chiffchaff, plus Swift, Swallow, House Martin, 2 Cormorant, Oystercatcher, Linnet, Skylark, 3 Mute Swan 4 Canada Geese, Pigeon, Rook, Crow, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Starling, Blackbird, Robin, Jackdaw, Collared Dove

and then

3 Yellowhammer, 4 Stonechat, 1 Raven, Whitethroat, 1 Buzzard & a Kestrel being seriously mobbed by Crows

Last edited:
Owl (possibly Tawny?) 1 Raven, 2 Nuthatch, several Chiffchaff & Whitethroat, Pied Wagtail, Starling, Rook, Crow, House Sparrow, Jackdaw, Dunnock, Robin, Song Thrush, Blackbird

Is this a Tawny Owl, we did not see it for long but would say that it is one of the larger owls? .
..........................................................................................................Looks more like a Jackdaw mobbing this Kestrel yesterday

Attachments

• owl.JPG
    owl.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 116
  • owl back.JPG
    owl back.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 91
  • kestrel and  corvid.JPG
    kestrel and corvid.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back