• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (1 Viewer)

I was surprized to spot a Ring Ouzel on Dartmoor this afternoon. Are they usually still around this late in the year?

Not unheard of Graham but very late nonetheless. Great sighting, well done. The latest I've seen was on the south Devon coast at Soar Mill Cove years ago, I think around 4th December. Apart from that I can't remember seeing one as late as yours. You might want to report it on the Devon News sight linked below.
regards, Perry

Last edited:
Not unheard of Graham but very late nonetheless. Great sighting, well done. The latest I've seen was on the south Devon coast at Soar Mill Cove years ago, I think around 4th December. Apart from that I can't remember seeing one as late as yours. You might want to report it on the Devon News sight linked below.
regards, Perry

Cheers Ppedro. just reported it. It looks a good site with a lot of info to absorb about my new county

I visited Portland Bill today and had a lovely walk. We walked about 5 miles from 'The Heights Hotel' to the red and white lighthouse. Along the way we spotted three Oystercatcher darting over the sea, a couple of Buzzards and a male Kestrel feeding on a mouse/vole. Lots of Blackbirds. We also spotted the usual suspects birds like Gulls, the usual passerines and Corvids, which none the less is always nice to see. Also a few Swallows were about.

We then went to the lagoons along Chisel Beach (the part that connects Portland Bill to the mainland). We stopped at one near 'The Taste' cafe. Wondering on the mud we saw about 15 Ringed Plover, 3 Dunlin, 3 Oystercatcher, 2 Little Egrets, several Pied Wagtails and the usual Gulls. We also saw two male Wheatear flying on the patches of grass next to the lagoon.

All in all, a lovely day out :)

Sounds like a great day ... even though Portland Bill is in Dorset lol. ;)

(Did you call in at the obs? - always worth popping in to see what else has been reported about.)

Anyone know a reliable site for Pied Flycatchers near Tavistock? I'm overnighting there on Saturday and have an opportunity first thing to go look for them, but as ever limited time so Yarner is probably too far. Any help much appreciated.

Adam

Tavistock is the wrong side of the Moor for me, I'm afraid. The nearest site I know is White Wood, below Venford Reservoir [though that's not very far from Tavvy, and indeed a very nice drive]. Plymbridge Wood may be worth a try, but I don't know it well enough to be sure.

Sounds like a great day ... even though Portland Bill is in Dorset lol. ;)

(Did you call in at the obs? - always worth popping in to see what else has been reported about.)

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on in agesss.

Silly Me, I must've hought the title said 'Dorset'! 8-P

I didn't get a chance to go to the observatory on that day, but I did try to go today. But by the time we had walked to it, it was so rainy and misty there was little point. We will go again soon - third time lucky, hopefully! But I did see some Peregrine Falcons, which I'll post about ... this time in the correct thread! :-O

Exminster is a much bigger site to get around and is currently very short on water and long on vegetation. So for a quick high tide visit, Bowling Green is the choice.

Good morning at Bowling Green hide this morning with large numbers of Curlew, Black tailed Godwit and Dunlin. Managed to get a couple of Bar tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Knot and a Spoonbill which are year ticks for me as slim pickings in Derbyshire. Sadly no Ruff or Curlew Sandpiper today though, will try another evening or two this week, as forgot how bad the sun is in the mornings at the hide

Found my Dipper and lots of lovely Cirls! Bowling Green Marsh added Osprey and Curlew Sand to the list

Attachments

• dawlish best.jpg
    dawlish best.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Lab Bay best.jpg
    Lab Bay best.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 3
  • dipper.jpg
    dipper.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 2
  • curlew sand.jpg
    curlew sand.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 2
Went for a walk at Budleigh Salterton yesterday, the restoration work they are doing there really does looks like it is going to create some great habitat, shame the hide is getting removed though and only replaced with a screen. Couldn't locate the water pipit's others had seen but plenty of Wigeon, Teal and Curlew with a few redshank, dunlin and ringed plover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back