• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (5 Viewers)

Long-tailed Duck at Budleigh Salterton, 1525hrs. It flew in from the east and landed on the sea, just west of Steamer Steps. A search for it earlier, off the Otter mouth, had drawn a blank! Also 15 Common Scoter and the female Eider still off the Otter mouth.

After getting back from yesterday's Glaucous-winged Gull twitch (thanks Mark), I was waiting to be picked up in Sainsbury's car park, Newton Abbot, when I stumbled accross a Pied Wagtail roost. 20-25 birds roosting in a large buddleia bush, right next to the McDonalds drive-thru. There was a lot of activity and calling from about 17.10, with the birds settling down at about 17.30.

I think Pied Wagtails like Sainsbury's - there were in excess of 15 in the carpark at Marsh Mills when they were closing on a Sunday afternoon just before Christmas?
What I wanted to ask was, what is the liklihood of Waxwings in South Devon?

I think Pied Wagtails like Sainsbury's - there were in excess of 15 in the carpark at Marsh Mills when they were closing on a Sunday afternoon just before Christmas?
6 were seen in Ide, just south west of Exeter on 3rd January, but there have been no reports since then in south Devon. Small numbers have been seen in Hants and Dorset too in the last few days, and singles were reported in Cornwall on 6th and 7th, so evidently birds are still moving west.

A lot of birders looking for the Waxwings at Roundswell, Barnstaple this morning. One was located and fair views were enjoyed. Managed to get a record shot of the bird.

Attachments

• waxwing1.jpg
    waxwing1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 75
Kingsbridge Estuary

Walked from Curlew Drive to Charleton Marsh on the low tide. Highlight was an adult White-fronted Goose on Charleton Marsh. To start with it was in the winter corn field on the west side of the marsh on the edge of a small flock of Canada Geese. When these took off it seperated and was the only one to land on the marsh. Wary and unringed my guess would be its a wild bird. Best of the rest were 3 pale-bellied Brent Geese, 2 off Park Bay and 1 in Charleton Bay.

Attachments

• DSCN2999.jpg
    DSCN2999.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 61
there were some only 4/5 years ago. they started in newton abbot and flew around the local area for about 3 weeks. would be nice to see them again.

Penduline Tit

Devon's 4th Penduline Tit found today by Colin B at Clennon Valley, Paignton on the 2nd pool behind the Leisure Centre and showing really well, viewed from the path half way up the pond looking across to the reeds on the other side. Apparently a different bird to last weeks bird at Slapton which was reportedly ringed.

Male Penduline Tit still at middle Clennon 'Lake'. Went there straight from work and it showed very nicely, in same spot as yesterday, until 1445 when it evidently tired of the ever-increasing rain and flew into the thick cover of the bank between the path and the caravan park - giving a nice flight view as it went past us. It hadn't re-appeared by the time I left half an hour later, but when the rain stops.....?

Enjoyed some great views of the Penduline Tit this morning, very smart bird! |=)|

Attachments

• penduline tit paignton small.jpg
    penduline tit paignton small.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 81
  • penduline tit small.jpg
    penduline tit small.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 80
Drake Mandarin Duck still on the canal. Been here so long I have christened him Malcolm now!

Also a female Teal, two Bullfinches, two Kingfishers and, don't laugh, a Coot!

Coots are rare as hen's teeth between Halberton and Tiverton.

A Spotted Redshank at Fremington Quay.

5 Spoonbills, 12 Turnstones and several Wigeon at East Yelland Marsh on the estuary.

2 Waxwings feeding at Fishleigh Road, Roundswell, Barnstaple, close to Pearce Construction offices.

Further information received is that the Penduline Tit at Slapton 10 days ago was seen at very close range and seen to be unringed,the plumage also matches and so presumably the current Clennon Valley bird is the same bird and incredibly mirrors the 2004 bird in moving from Slapton to Torbay.

Male and female Peregrine hanging on the wind at Baggy Point this morning. Just after the first gate. Fulmar at the point - is this early?

Jon

The Penduline Tit was again showing well at Clennon Valley this morning. I've put up a short video of the bird here.

Broadsands with Josh M afterwards in good conditions produced single Red-necked and Black-necked Grebes, 23 Great Crested Grebes, 6 Eider, 16 Common Scoter, a Velvet Scoter and a Great Northern Diver.

Mansands held 40 Snipe, 2 Water Rails, 30 Teal and 3 Shoveler amongst other bits and pieces.

Attachments

• Penduline Tit web copy.JPG
    Penduline Tit web copy.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Male and female Peregrine hanging on the wind at Baggy Point this morning. Just after the first gate. Fulmar at the point - is this early?

Jon

Hi Jon

I had 12 Fulmar over at Haggington point on Wednesday. And I've heard reports of over 200 birds at Woody Bay in the last week.

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back