• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

A Buzzard being mobbed by a Sparrowhawk? not sure so any clarification welcome

Attachments

• 30 may 2011 035.JPG
    30 may 2011 035.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 30 may 2011 033.JPG
    30 may 2011 033.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 227
The other bird looks like a Kestrel. Can just make out it's grey head and rufous back. Not long now and I'll be down there!

The other bird looks like a Kestrel. Can just make out it's grey head and rufous back. Not long now and I'll be down there!

Cheers - have a good hol.

highlights

Today - 3 Kestrel, 1 Buzzard, Rock Pipit, c3 Linnet, Stonechat, 1 Whitethroat, 2 Cormorant

Yesterday - c6 Ringed Plover, c9 Dunlin, 1 Canada Goose, 7 Shelduck

the day before - family group 6 Wrens, Bullfinch, 3 Rock Pipit, Long Tailed Tit

Attachments

• 31 may 2011 152.JPG
    31 may 2011 152.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Can anyone help me with the exact location of Haldon Ridge? Want to go there looking for raptors, I know Haldon forest where the bike tracks are, but I'm not sure where Haldon Ridge is.....it may be a raptor viewpoint if this helps?
Thanks in advance,

Mark.

For the raptor viewing platform just follow the trail left heading out of the main carpark. It is sign posted. Also there is a map of the forest in the car park that should give you good directions. Hope that helps.

Haldon Forest is on the Haldon Ridge - it being the line of high ground between the Teign and Exe valleys. I don't know exactly where the sightings you refer to were made from, but there are two well-known raptor viewpoints; by the Mamhead Obelisk, and the old 'Raptor Viewpoint', whose car park is now cut off by cycle tracks from the new development. If you park at the cycle place and follow the track that runs on NW parallel to the road, you will find a spur leading to the open viewing area just as the track turns sharply downhill.

2 Kestrel, several Whitethroat, really pleased to see a couple of Mistle Thrushes - at least I think they were - see pic, 5 Cormorant, c10 Swallow, 1 Stonechat, Magpie, c3 Linnet, several Blackbird, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Dunnock, Pigeon, Herring Gull, Chaffinch, Starling, House Sparrow

Attachments

• mistle thrush 11june2011.JPG
    mistle thrush 11june2011.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 11 june 2011 005.JPG
    11 june 2011 005.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
2 Kestrel, several Whitethroat, really pleased to see a couple of Mistle Thrushes - at least I think they were - see pic, 5 Cormorant, c10 Swallow, 1 Stonechat, Magpie, c3 Linnet, several Blackbird, Jackdaw, Rook, Crow, Dunnock, Pigeon, Herring Gull, Chaffinch, Starling, House Sparrow

That's a Mistle OK. Visiting Porlock Weir at end of July, hoping for some good birding.

I am in Devon from 2 July for a week. I was wondering what the chances of catching up with the following were:

Woodlark (was thinking of Chudleigh Knighton Heath)
Pied Flycatcher (sounds like they should be easy in Yarner Wood)
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (Yarner Wood, but assume need a bit of luck)
Whimbrel (do a few linger around Dawlish Warren during summer?)
Roseate Tern (possible at Dawlish Warren?)

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am in Devon from 2 July for a week. I was wondering what the chances of catching up with the following were:

Woodlark (was thinking of Chudleigh Knighton Heath)
Pied Flycatcher (sounds like they should be easy in Yarner Wood)
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (Yarner Wood, but assume need a bit of luck)
Whimbrel (do a few linger around Dawlish Warren during summer?)
Roseate Tern (possible at Dawlish Warren?)

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

for Pied fly Yarner is a good call.The lesser spotted can be found at Yarner but as you have said it's down to luck on the day
Whimbrel i would say bowling green marsh area ,quite a few present the last time i was over there, as for Roseate turn i would say exmouth rather than the warren. I visit the Warren most days and tbh its been very quiet lateley,But i think it's always worth a visit .

Edit: roseate turn a regular visitor to bowling green marsh i have just been told.

Last edited:
An adult male Rose-coloured Starling was present this morning in a private garden in Kingsheanton - just west of Barnstaple. If you go to the hamlet, be aware that there is virtually nowhere to park.

Highlights of the day

3 Goldcrest, 1 Rock Pipit, 2 Yellowhammer, 1 Wren, 2 Linnet, 5 Goldfinch, several Black Headed Gull

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back