• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (3 Viewers)

Lonely Snow Bunting on the burrows.

The first Snow bunting arrived to day on Northam Burrows:t::t::t:

Not the best quality shots - unfortunatley battery was low:C

Attachments

• DSC_0327.jpg
    DSC_0327.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0328.jpg
    DSC_0328.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0343.jpg
    DSC_0343.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0347.jpg
    DSC_0347.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 53
The Snow Buntings were still showing well yesterday - hyperactive but very approachable.

Attachments

• sbunt1.jpg
    sbunt1.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 54
  • sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 55
  • sb3.jpg
    sb3.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 43
Hi All,
I am coming down to Devon tomorrow. Which area would be the best for Cirl Bunting, but we want to stay as north/east as possible. I have heard of Labrador Bay and Prawle Point, are these reliable?
Thanks
Kieran

cirls present yesterday at labrador bay. numbers have increased in the last week, this maybe due to the farmer across the road doing work on his hedge rows.

A few days ago now - 37 Golden Plover at Skern Northam Burrows

Plus yesterday a Raven being mobbed by two Jackdaws over Bideford.

Last edited:
A colour ringed Black-Tailed Godwit this morning at Exminster Marshes Nature Reserve, with 80+ BTG.

Attachments

• IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 61
Goosey Pool area Northam Burows today 1800 hours

2 Little Egret, 14 Curlew, 34 Lapwings, 2 Buzzard, several Black Headed Gulls and Herring Gulls, c80 Starling, 1 Pied Wagtail, 2 Skylark, 3 Crows plus Jackdaws and Rooks.

In Dartmouth today for a cruise up to Totnes and to see the EOS.
I've done the trip many times but today was a bit different - where the river narrows beyond Stoke Gabriel the boat develops a suction wave where the prop pulls water away from the bank lowering the level and chucks it out behind.
The Black Headed Gulls have noticed that this effect exposes goodies for them to eat and are following the boats up the river - cleverly as a flock they eat and then fly up ahead of the boat to land and wait for the level to drop.

Stood outside for 10mins last night at around 22:30 and listened to the night migration it was continuous, managed to pick out Redwing and Field Fare but there my expertise ends.

Truly Magical!!

Hi

Was thinking about heading down to Devon and was wondering if there are any woodlark around at the moment. If so where is best place to see them? Is exminster still good for them

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back