• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

Have a safe journey home Gwahir. Hope you and your family all had a good holiday. Thanks for posting what you saw and hope you come again.
Regards Perry

Thanks very much Perry. We've had a wonderful time even though the wearer has been a little unkind to us.

It's been an excellent spot for birding and I've enjoyed every minute. Hope to return again sometime soon.

Regards. Nick.

Northam Burrows including Skern on Saturday 20th

A walk soon revealed 2 Ravens on the Pebble Ridge close to Westward Ho! A Buzzard high in the sky could be seen towards Northam. Walking round the edge of the Burrows we noticed several Wheatear. At Skern there were approx 5 Lapwings and 12 Golden Plover with Curlews. Great to see the Plovers back!! Only had a pocket scope with us so there could well have been much more to see and the tide was fully out!!

Dawlish Warren

Had a walk around reserve from 12.30pm -5pm.

Highlight was seeing Stephen Edwards adult Bonaparte's Gull from yesterday.

I picked it up as it sat on groyne 9 at 3.20pm, it then flew down beach landing on most groynes and feeding for a short while on the falling tide before moving to the next until it reached groyne 3.

It then proceeded to work it's way back up the beach in the same manner to groyne 14.

Thereafter athe tide fell ,it spent most of it's time feeding off groyne 9 close inshore and showed well, before at 4.55pm it flew off and up the Exe estuary.

I would say it was a male due to the length of it's bill.

Also of note 1 Whimbrel on beach, 1 sandwich tern offshore, 3 blk-tailed godwit,25 dunlin, 18 ringed plover, 8 grey plover, 4 sanderling, at least 1 pale-bellied brent goose

Cheers.
Paul Barker

Attachments

• bonapartes 009.jpg
    bonapartes 009.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 87
  • bonapartes 011.jpg
    bonapartes 011.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 70
East Soar "Green Sandpiper"

I visited East Soar on 23/10/12 and on arrival to the car park, I heard the call of a Green Sandpiper, I tried to locate it but to no avail in the rain.

Once the rain subsided I went down to East Soar farm, in the willows behind the farm I saw a Firecrest and a "possible" Siberian Chiffchaff, it had all brown upperparts,faint buff "super" and lacked any olive tones,although had a slight lemon wash on the undertail coverts,alas it did not call so left it unidentified.

At Sharehole, I had a Whinchat, 2 Ring Ouzel and 3 Black Redstart on the footpath above the East side of the valley.

Back at the car park, another Black Redstart in the ploughed field opposite on the round bales.

Several more times over the next 30 mins i heard the Green Sandpiper call, but just could not locate, but persisted, the culprit, A...., ROBIN, yea this very mobile Robin was making the call as i actually saw it doing it.Quite bizarre and wander if this behaviour is common, personally I haven't heard a Robin mimic other birds, and it was "bang on" Green Sand call, I was hoping to find a "Solitary Sand instead, but was happy to nail the culprit either way!
cheers.
Paul Barker

Several more times over the next 30 mins i heard the Green Sandpiper call, but just could not locate, but persisted, the culprit, A...., ROBIN, yea this very mobile Robin was making the call as i actually saw it doing it.Quite bizarre and wander if this behaviour is common, personally I haven't heard a Robin mimic other birds, and it was "bang on" Green Sand call.
Well done Paul, I've suspected this particular call was from an imitator and I daresay others have too.

Well done Paul, I've suspected this particular call was from an imitator and I daresay others have too.

I actually heard it 4 times this month and did not suspect for a fraction of a second it was an imitator.
The first time ( 5/10 ) i was about 350 metres away from the car park where i thought i could hear a Green Sandpiper ( subsequently the area the imitator is ) and i mention this because i would have thought a Robin would have trouble being heard at this distance ( there was no wind to carry the call and nearby working machinary negated the fairly still conditions ). Could a Green Sandpiper have been on site for a few days and the Robin have learnt to mimic the bird in that time .
I have heard Stonechats brilliantly mimic both Common and Green Sandpipers but i have to admit it was not something that i gave a thought to here, let alone a Robin being the culprit.
Either way an education for me and it shows how far you have to go when you are , so to speak in situ being fooled, when brilliantly astute observers like Mr. Cox, and i daresay others too, have got it all sussed staring at their PC monitors !

Regards, Perry.

Last edited:
Holsworthy yesterday revealed several Jays including at a distance of some 30ft when they were eating nuts? There was also a group of chaffinches that numbered 50 plus.

Today in Westward Ho! while enjoying Long Tailed Tits a Goldcrest flew in and was feeding as little as 4ft away for some 30 seconds or more - sheer bliss. Makes everything seem all-right with the world!!!!!!!!

Goosey Pool Northam Burrows this morning.

20 plus Curlew
24 plus Lapwings
6 Redshank
1 Snipe
a dozen or so Goldfinch
3 Stonechat
Meadow Pipit
Skylark
1 Buzzard
2 Little Egret

Visited the Tamar Lakes today for the first in what seemed like an age. Not to many birds noted but did have good views of Nuthatch and a Treecreeper around the feeders at the Lower Lake. (Thanks to Harvey).

Todays sightings from the Lakes and from Bude, where a goose fest was witnessed can be seen at the Camel Estuary Birds website.

I was hoping someone can tell me exactly where Ernesettle Creek is at Plymouth. I often visit as my daughter lives there. I know where the Spotted Sandpiper was last year but imagine this is somewhere different.

Many thanks

Joan

There was an EMU in Barnstaple today!! It was carefully tempted into a police car!!!!

Made a mess of the car too.

Looked nothing like Rod Hull's version therefore quite disappointing. :C

That woman at the end of the news clip from some animal welfare organisation was a downer with her "It could have your eye out, you know" routine.

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone would happen to know the directions for the Green-winged Teal at Portworthy. It's a new site for me so any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks,

Last edited:
Yesterday at Skern we enjoyed
Curlew
Lapwing
Redshank
Dunlin
Brent Geese
Little Egret
Golden Plover
Grey Plover
Shelduck
Wigeon
Oystercatcher

Just had burrows walk seen at Goosey Pool Northam Burrows

Approx. 100 Wigeon, 1 Raven, 6 Snipe, 3 Redshank, 50 Lapwing, several Skylarks and Meadow Pipits plus one curlew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back