• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diamondback HD 8x32 impressions (1 Viewer)

eitanaltman

Taking a trip next week (first time in a long time!) and so was looking to grab an inexpensive, compact pair of binoculars I could tote around with me when sight-seeing and casually walking around vs "hard core birding".

I wanted to try the Dback 8x32 HD since they are SO short and light, and when I saw a pair on Amazon Warehouse for $150 it was an easy decision to give them a shot.

I've had them for a few days, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the optics and overall quality for the price point.

They are pretty bright, tending to slightly "warm" so they have very nice, saturated color and strong contrast. And they are VERY sharp on axis for the price. Not quite as sharp as my much more expensive glass, but much sharper than most budget glass I've tried.

Handling and finish is quite nice for the price point, the focus knob is smooth in operation (if a little "goopy" from what feels like thick grease to dampen the rotation), the eyecups have sufficient friction to hold their position well (a problem with many cheap binoculars).

The latter point is especially important since they have pretty short eye relief, and the eyecups bizarrely have a raise rim around the edge. Although I don't wear glasses, it seems these would be virtually useless for those who do since the raised rim (and the fact that they don't seat fully flush with the ocular lens) robs several mm from what is already skimpy eye relief. And even for me, without glasses, I cannot see the full FOV with the eyecups fully extended.

If the eyecups didn't have the raised rim, and instead were a bit flatter with some more taper, it would probably be perfect at full extension. But thankfully they hold tightly at an intermediate position that works well for me.

The accessories are perfect for the price, a nice hard case, a standard neoprene strap, and nice soft rubber ocular covers and rainguard. Simple and effective.

They are also extremely light and compact -- I weighed them at ~444g naked, which is slightly less than the ~450g specification. They are also slightly shorter than my Ultravid 8x32 HD, which is a very compact 32mm binocular.

My only complaints are nitpicks that are not problematic given the $200 retail price point. The sweet spot is fairly small and edge performance mediocre, but I wouldn't expect that for the price and the FOV is very wide and immersive to counterbalance that. There is of course a decent amount of pincushion, and CA control is also just OK, nothing special. In direct comparison to more expensive binoculars, it's obvious they are behind in brightness / clarity and look a bit "dingy" in contrast.

All told, they are a very nice option at the $150-200 price point, with good resolution, a very wide FOV, above average, good color and contrast, and pretty solid build quality backed by that Vortex warranty. Definitely an easy recommendation if you want something cheap, featherlight and compact to tote around when you don't want to carry something larger (and, like me, absolutely hate 20-25mm compacts!).

A few photos showing the raised rim on the eyecups vs the much more efficient designs of the GPO and Leica; and a size comparison vs the Leica UV32 (just a few mm longer) and GPO 32 (a few mm longer than the Leica).

In terms of weight comparison the Vortex is 444g naked as noted above, the GPO is ~520g and the Leica ~530g.

Also forgot to note that the hinge tension is very tight, looks like that’s a typical situation for the Dback series though.

Attachments

• 52A181AD-9958-472F-96D3-301C1E6BA61F.jpeg
    52A181AD-9958-472F-96D3-301C1E6BA61F.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 14D25E3F-257B-4725-92BA-F99F53152827.jpeg
    14D25E3F-257B-4725-92BA-F99F53152827.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 472D0E03-829A-4257-8E0E-82FE0A6E2FA8.jpeg
    472D0E03-829A-4257-8E0E-82FE0A6E2FA8.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 0F5C7E59-34E4-48F7-9C25-A997F2F754B5.jpeg
    0F5C7E59-34E4-48F7-9C25-A997F2F754B5.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 128
  • C2519228-1DAB-4681-8D11-073FF509AEC6.jpeg
    C2519228-1DAB-4681-8D11-073FF509AEC6.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 109
150 bucks...you can't beat that!

I bought one several years ago and gave it to a friend...she really likes it! It should serve it's purpose for you well. I use my M7 8X30 for almost exactly the same usage.

I use my M7 8X30 for almost exactly the same usage.

I keep an M7 8x30 in my wife’s vehicle for the same useage. Nice to have when an unplanned viewing opportunity suddenly pops up when we are tooling around without the “good glass”.......

We tried the 8x32 DB HD, but I liked the Kowa SVII a bit more. I’m not a big fan of Vortex in general, but you can’t fault their level of performance for the money spent.

150 bucks...you can't beat that!

Actually, I may have, because a couple of days after I bought the Dback HD there was a flash sale on the GPO Spectra 8x32 on Amazon for only $180.

So $30 more, but for a $400 binocular instead of a $200 binocular! The GPO feels like it's closer in optical quality to the Conquest HD rather than the Diamondback HD, so it's hard to justify not keeping it for that price.

I probably would have been just fine using the Vortex for this "backup / casual use" role, but the GPO is several notches up in optics and build quality, and it's still pretty tiny (as you can see in the photo above, just a bit longer than the Vortex).

I had the M7 8x30 previously and thought the optics were lovely for the price, but I never got along with them ergonomically (especially eye placement) and I found the glare too problematic. I didn't love them so wanted to try something new this time.

The Dback 8x32 HD is a clear notch down optically from the M7 for sure, but the tiny size, light weight, and wide FOV is right there with the Nikon, and it's not THAT far behind in terms of optical quality in the sweet spot on axis. I'm sure there's sample variation, but the pair I have is really impressively sharp! And when you consider typical pricing, the Vortex is 1/2 the price.

For someone who doesn't want to spend $350+ on a backup / casual bin, for under $200 the Dback 8x32 HD is a great value and does not embarrass itself in the field at all. I would happily even recommend it as a primary optic for someone who isn't a serious birder and wants something small and light without breaking the bank.

Taking a trip next week (first time in a long time!) and so was looking to grab an inexpensive, compact pair of binoculars I could tote around with me when sight-seeing and casually walking around vs "hard core birding".

I wanted to try the Dback 8x32 HD since they are SO short and light, and when I saw a pair on Amazon Warehouse for $150 it was an easy decision to give them a shot.

I've had them for a few days, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the optics and overall quality for the price point.

They are pretty bright, tending to slightly "warm" so they have very nice, saturated color and strong contrast. And they are VERY sharp on axis for the price. Not quite as sharp as my much more expensive glass, but much sharper than most budget glass I've tried.

Handling and finish is quite nice for the price point, the focus knob is smooth in operation (if a little "goopy" from what feels like thick grease to dampen the rotation), the eyecups have sufficient friction to hold their position well (a problem with many cheap binoculars).

The latter point is especially important since they have pretty short eye relief, and the eyecups bizarrely have a raise rim around the edge. Although I don't wear glasses, it seems these would be virtually useless for those who do since the raised rim (and the fact that they don't seat fully flush with the ocular lens) robs several mm from what is already skimpy eye relief. And even for me, without glasses, I cannot see the full FOV with the eyecups fully extended.

If the eyecups didn't have the raised rim, and instead were a bit flatter with some more taper, it would probably be perfect at full extension. But thankfully they hold tightly at an intermediate position that works well for me.

The accessories are perfect for the price, a nice hard case, a standard neoprene strap, and nice soft rubber ocular covers and rainguard. Simple and effective.

They are also extremely light and compact -- I weighed them at ~444g naked, which is slightly less than the ~450g specification. They are also slightly shorter than my Ultravid 8x32 HD, which is a very compact 32mm binocular.

My only complaints are nitpicks that are not problematic given the $200 retail price point. The sweet spot is fairly small and edge performance mediocre, but I wouldn't expect that for the price and the FOV is very wide and immersive to counterbalance that. There is of course a decent amount of pincushion, and CA control is also just OK, nothing special. In direct comparison to more expensive binoculars, it's obvious they are behind in brightness / clarity and look a bit "dingy" in contrast.

All told, they are a very nice option at the $150-200 price point, with good resolution, a very wide FOV, above average, good color and contrast, and pretty solid build quality backed by that Vortex warranty. Definitely an easy recommendation if you want something cheap, featherlight and compact to tote around when you don't want to carry something larger (and, like me, absolutely hate 20-25mm compacts!).
I recently bought Dback 8x32 HD from Amazon.de to use for casual birding. It is bright and the small size suite for me when I am walking around with them. However, I experience an appearance of a bright circle of light around the field of view and it is disturbing for the viewing. Do you experience something like that or can you think of a reason for that?

I recently bought Dback 8x32 HD from Amazon.de to use for casual birding. It is bright and the small size suite for me when I am walking around with them. However, I experience an appearance of a bright circle of light around the field of view and it is disturbing for the viewing. Do you experience something like that or can you think of a reason for that?
I had a 12x50 diamondback (2016 version, non HD) and noticed the same thing. Found it distracting. I replaced it with a 12x50 viper HD which performs better and doesn't have this issue, at least to my eyes.

I have a 10x42 Diamondback (non-HD) and haven't noticed this problem. It could be a glare problem specific to the way it fits your face

I have a 10x42 Diamondback (non-HD) and haven't noticed this problem. It could be a glare problem specific to the way it fits your face
Thank you qwerty5. I have asked a few of my friends to test it and they too had the problem that I am experiencing. It reduces when I pull up both eyecups fully, but then it limits the field of view a bit. Therefore, I like to use the middle position.

Thank you qwerty5. I have asked a few of my friends to test it and they too had the problem that I am experiencing. It reduces when I pull up both eyecups fully, but then it limits the field of view a bit. Therefore, I like to use the middle position.
Hm, I would say it's probably sample variation. You could maybe try sending Vortex an email about it and see if they would fix it.

Hm, I would say it's probably sample variation. You could maybe try sending Vortex an email about it and see if they would fix it.
Thank you again. I will send it back to claim the warranty. I just wanted to know whether this problem is associated with all the bins in DB model.
I really like it as it is an affordable price and want to keep it with me every time. BTW I want to buy a good pair of bins as well. I hope 8.5 EL is still good even after NL Purs :)

Thank you again. I will send it back to claim the warranty. I just wanted to know whether this problem is associated with all the bins in DB model.
I really like it as it is an affordable price and want to keep it with me every time. BTW I want to buy a good pair of bins as well. I hope 8.5 EL is still good even after NL Purs :)
The EL is an excellent choice now since everyone is selling them to buy the NL. They are relatively cheap right now and extremely good optics

We tried the 8x32 DB HD, but I liked the Kowa SVII a bit more. I’m not a big fan of Vortex in general, but you can’t fault their level of performance for the money spent.
Sry to bring back this older thread, but I'm wondering if you can elaborate more on why you liked the SVII (8x32 I'm assuming?) more than the DB HD 8x32?

I'm deciding between these 2 as a gift for someone as general use binocular and think your input would be helpful.

@w.travis Not Phil, but I thought I might as well give you an idea, since you mentioned the binoculars will be a gift. In that case, I think the Vortex warranty can give you piece of mind regarding sample variation or an eventual unexpected part of the binoculars going wrong (once I wrote an email to Vortex about the Diamondback HD 8x32, regarding the "ring of reflection" and was offered a no-question full refund if I was not satisfied). I guess if I was given a new pair of binoculars as a gift (I assume the person in question won't be a super optics fan), to be backed by such a warranty would make the gift even sweeter :) Just a thought (the more I use binoculars, the more I value warranties... and repairability, but that's another story).

@w.travis Not Phil, but I thought I might as well give you an idea, since you mentioned the binoculars will be a gift. In that case, I think the Vortex warranty can give you piece of mind regarding sample variation or an eventual unexpected part of the binoculars going wrong (once I wrote an email to Vortex about the Diamondback HD 8x32, regarding the "ring of reflection" and was offered a no-question full refund if I was not satisfied). I guess if I was given a new pair of binoculars as a gift (I assume the person in question won't be a super optics fan), to be backed by such a warranty would make the gift even sweeter :) Just a thought (the more I use binoculars, the more I value warranties... and repairability, but that's another story).
Thank you, that is a good point! Hopefully Phil will chime also about why he went with the SVII.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back