• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Different type of tits (1 Viewer)

jcpaul

United Kingdom
Hi
Fairly new to the game and am trying to identify the different types of tits on my new feeder, I think I have

1. Blue tit, quite small, lone ranger type mask over eyes, yellow breast
2. Coal tit, small, black & white stripe on back of head
3. Long tail tit, predominantly grey, black and white stripped head, long tail :)
4. Great tit. largest, black stripe down breast
5. ???? - medium size, black head, no stripe down breast, smaller than great tit - any clues what this one could be?

Alexander Stöhr

Hello,
welcome to birdforum!
Nr. 5 is either a Marsh or Willow Tit, both are extremly similar and best identified by call or song (or muchg experience, many threads here and elswhere in the net concerning this topic can be found). But you must exclude a Blackcap. Its not a Tit, and different shaped (so it seems smaller than Great Tit, but they are actually the same size).

jcpaul

United Kingdom
Thanks, Yes I have a black cap hangs out.

Anyone had any joy encouraging chaffinches on to a feeder ? Lots hang out on grass underneath waiting for gold finches to drop bits of suet pellet (messy eaters), but won't land on the feeder itself

_pauls

Thanks, Yes I have a black cap hangs out.

Anyone had any joy encouraging chaffinches on to a feeder ? Lots hang out on grass underneath waiting for gold finches to drop bits of suet pellet (messy eaters), but won't land on the feeder itself

It depends on the type of feeder. You are unlikely to get chaffinches on a hanging feeder which sounds like what you are talking about if it is mostly tits visiting but if you have a tray full of seeds they will happily come to that.

Users who are viewing this thread