• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digidapter vs. Swarovski DCB II (1 Viewer)

chrisemm

Dear all,
I was wondering whether there is a significant difference between the Swarovski DCB II adapter and the Digidapter!? What are the pros and cons comparing these two adapters?

I’m using the Swarovski ATX 30-70x95 at the moment (just for bird watching so far) and I’m planning to use a pocket camera like the Sony DSC-RX100 M2/3 for digiscoping in the future…
Many thanks
Christoph

Hi Christoph,
The DCB II is good if you need to be able to leave your adapter attached and flip it up for viewing. I have switched to the Digidapter due to it's unbreakable, solid construction. There is no flexing when you push your eye up against the viewfinder, and it's very quick to take your camera on and off the adapter, as well as the adapter on and off the scope. You can use full-size DSLRs on the Digidapter as well as longer lenses than with the DCB II. If you spin the camera into portrait mode, there is no movement forward or back. It's very well made. The service from either Paul (Digidapter) or Swarovski is excellent.
Regards,
Tara

Differences

Christoph,

Yes they're are many differences. Most important difference is the material. Stability is, to me the most important issue in Digiscoping. Aluminum makes a much better material for stability than any polymer. The Digidapter's engineering is precise. Easy to mount and an even easier re-mount. There is no stress on the camera nor the filter threads of the camera lens. Even with the nice design of the Swarovski DCB11, unfortunately it is a polymer and is injected molded. Most of the folks I know have purchased a Digidaper for their ATX or STX scopes, and other models. It is less money and it works much better.... Roy Halpin, Florida USA

First, full disclosure....I designed and manufacture the DIGIDAPTER®

1. Material....The DIGIDAPTER is CNC machined from solid billet aluminum. While this is much more expensive to manufacture than the molded plastic of the DCB II, the benefits can not be understated. "Aircraft quality" tolerances can be maintained, critical for digiscoping and high magnifications.

2. Repeatability....The DCB II somewhat repeats it's location but only front to back and not rotationally. The DIGIDAPTER has precision locating pins that locate your camera every time perfectly. Set it up once and it forever repeats. Change the battery or card and it goes back on exactly where you left it.

3. Rigidity.....Again, plastic flexes and aluminum is much more rigid. When you hang a heavy camera on a DCB II it will flex and that flex effects alignment and photo quality. In addition, the hinging camera platform on the DCB that may sound like a great feature adds more places for movement and misalignment.

4. While I prefer and recommend mirrorless cameras, The DIGIDAPTER can handle DSLR's with pancake lenses and even larger lenses with the optional table extender.

5. Convenience....You can use your scope all day and when you want a photo, you simply slide the DIGIDAPTER on and shoot. It aligns quickly and perfect every time. If you want to change to portrait, simply rotate and shoot. No clamps to loosen and re-tighten. It's simple and fast.

6. Cost....You pay less and get a precision machined adapter.

7. Made in the USA

There are other differences but these are the ones I am most asked about. There are plenty of pictures, review links and videos on my web site at http://www.digiscopeadapter.com

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Paul

Great! Thank you very much for all your help and suggestions! Hope I can show you some photos soon using the ATX95/digidapter combination…
All the best
Christoph

Hi, I have a question about the digidapter.

I'm led to believe that you have to removed your scopes stay on case if you use one before you can use the Swarovski DCB.

Is this also the case with the digidapter? Or can the stay on case be left in situ?

Regards

Moocher.

Moocher,

As long as the eyepiece is exposed from the Stay On case you can use the Digidapter with it on. The camera/platform of the Digidapter slides over the eyepiece like a tube adapter and you're ready to shoot. The inner sleeve sits snug against the eyepiece so there is no problem closing the case.

I really like this adapter compared to the Swar (I have both). There are a few reasons for me:

1. I use a Sony R100ii and the battery and card access is on the bottom of the camera. Every time I have to change a battery using the Swar I have to take a little plate off the bottom of the camera. You alignment is now going to be off once you change and you have to realign. It is very inconvenient to me. That is the price for making it universal.

2 it doesn't flex when lining the camera up which the Swar does and makes it take too long for me.

3. The memory stops are super convenient when starting each session. No need to have to realign everything from the start.

I am not knocking one or the other. But this adapter has made my digiscoping much more enjoyable.

I also am enjoying my Digidapter Swanny66. Had it for Xmas. I would recommend it to anyone considering digiscoping. Customer service and advise from Paul Sayegh is also excellent. One of my recent attempts. More details of how I am getting on with the Digidapter on my blog.

http://moochersmoor.blogspot.co.uk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 312
I was in Florida in January for the Space Coast Birding Festival and finally caught up with Paul Sayegh , the designer of the wonderful Digidapter.
I already had been using one of them for some time since Roy Halpin had got me on to it, but I was complaining to Paul about my need to switch cameras in and out quickly which is why I was still using the Swarovski DCB 11 Adapter with the Digidapter. He convinced me that I needed a second Digidapter. So I bought one. Now I can have one setup for the Sony RX100M3/M2 and one for the Panasonic GH3/GH4. I'm now ready for the coming Spring migration.
Neil.

I also have a digidapter now and I already love it. I found all positive remarks in this thread to be true. I agree with Tara, that the only reason to use the DCB-II (which I also have) would be in a situation where the option to swing the camera away from the eyepiece is important.

Interesting thread!

How do both adapter compare regarding size and weight? (I'm looking for something as compa t as possible.) Any comparative picture?

And regarding speed and noise when putting on the scope and removing? (Also, as you cannot flip up the Digidapter,I'm curious about experience about flipping up the DCB vs putting on/removing the digidapter.)

Would the DCB be strong and rigid enough for a Fuji X100 (or a micro-4/3 systen camera)?

When using the DCB II I often flip it upwards to look through the telescope without the camera. I never take off the digidapter to do that. I don't like to stand or sit with camera/digidapter in my hand and find too much of a hassle to put it in a bag or something like that and take it out again. So when I know beforehand that also I want to look through the scope without a camera while bird watching, I only take the DCB II with me.

When using the DCB II I often flip it upwards to look through the telescope without the camera. I never take off the digidapter to do that. I don't like to stand or sit with camera/digidapter in my hand and find too much of a hassle to put it in a bag or something like that and take it out again. So when I know beforehand that also I want to look through the scope without a camera while bird watching, I only take the DCB II with me.

Thank you for the info!
I think I will (almost) always want to look through the scope, probably more so than taking the pictures. Thus that would be a ‘+’ for the DCB II.
May I ask which camera(+lens) you use? I’ll probably first try with my Fuji X100, if at least it is not too heavy for the DCB II... |<| Any idea?
I’m carrying my scope on my back, using a scope pack. Would you trust leaving the DCB II (with the camera) on it while walking?

I use a Panasonic GX7 camera with 20 mm or 30 mm lens. I always leave my camera on the scope when walking (and biking) and never had a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back