• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Digiscope Setup (1 Viewer)

ChopandFloat

United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am an experienced photographer but would like to begin digiscoping Wildlife. I currently have a Nikon D500 and a D750 full frame camera. I want to achieve good printable photos from digiscoping, so I would appreciate any advice on the best setup you may be using yourselves in "the real world". many thanks

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Ian Byrnes

Hi...I can only go by what I use but I get good results from a Zeiss 85TfL/20-75 zoom & Samsung S10 phone on a PhoneSkope adapter or like you I have a D500 body on a Novagrade adapter and use a Satechi bluetooth shutter control on both the phone & camera. All this I mount on either Artcise HD cf or Benro cf tripods.
I've always enjoyed phonescoping & digiscoping but it is a bit time consuming to set up, heavy to carry and an added expense compared to the quality & ease of use and ability to get reaction shots that you can achieve with your D500.
The only benefit is if you want to film or photograph at great distance - then the camera can't give you the reach that the scope offers, although I can get pretty good results with a teleconverter.
There are always good used Zeis/Kowa or Swarovski scopes on eBay. I prefer using the phone rather than the camera....its so much quicker and you don't have to download your results after.
Hope this helps....
Ian

Last edited:

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi ChopandFloat and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
Hi Chopandfloat
Glad you found your way to Birdfourm, there's a sub-forum for all things Yorkshire here
I have dabbled with digiscoping with a basic point and click camera and also my phone. Never used my DSLR for digiscoping primarily due to the extra faffing about with it but also because as the scope is replacing the lens you have in effect a fixed aperture lens so DOF is going to be limited and ambient light will need to be good to get good results as you won't want to increase the iso too much or the results will be unsuitable for printing at a reasonable size.

Users who are viewing this thread