• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoper of the Year 2010 (1 Viewer)

Dale Forbes

Swarovski Optik, Austria
Austria
Hi all,

There are now only a few weeks left in this year's Digiscoper of the Year competition.

In contrast to previous years, all the current entries are viewable directly on the web and the public can vote for their favorites. These will then be added to the judging panel's votes to decide the winners. But then again, it is not all about competition, but about sharing our love for digiscoping.

see the pics and find out more here:
www.digiscoperoftheyear.com

Happy digiscoping,
Dale

So does this mean that this year there are no regional competition categories such as UK only?

Just a few days left...

see the current entries here: Digiscoper of the Year 2010

Hi Dale

Put a bunch of pics up mid evening before the closing deadline as you had prompted, the info said awaiting approval, looked this morning, and my pics awaiting approval have gone from my profile but no sign of my pics on the Pictures section, can you shed any light on it please, thay cant be that bad that they had to be deleted can they ? ;)

Thanks

Paul

Hi Dale

Put a bunch of pics up mid evening before the closing deadline as you had prompted, the info said awaiting approval, looked this morning, and my pics awaiting approval have gone from my profile but no sign of my pics on the Pictures section, can you shed any light on it please, thay cant be that bad that they had to be deleted can they ? ;)

Thanks

Paul

They have been loaded up

Thanks Dale

Regards

Paul

Hi Dale

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, they were just waiting for one of us to approve them and it is a public holiday here in Austria, which is why it took a little longer to approve the last entries from over the weekend.
Kind regards,
Dale

Some really excellent entries Dale, with quite a few BF'ers after having had a peruse this morning.

Is there an ideal ie optimum browser to view and vote. I've tried several times with Safari (Mac based) and it keeps jamming up and returning with an internal system error which makes it very difficult to keep track of everything eg It's not allowing me to load favourites into the top ten panel?

Could of course be due to the public holiday and an increase of web traffic.

Last edited:
We now need people to vote in the Digiscoper of the Year 2010

The gallery is arranged according to average rating (stars) with the highest average first.
The awarding of points is, however, only through voting for your places 1-10

The accumulated points from website users will then be added to the votes/points from the official judges to determine the winners.

Have your say, choose your favorites!

We now need people to vote in the Digiscoper of the Year 2010

The gallery is arranged according to average rating (stars) with the highest average first.
The awarding of points is, however, only through voting for your places 1-10

The accumulated points from website users will then be added to the votes/points from the official judges to determine the winners.

Have your say, choose your favorites!

Just a thought if people vote for their own in the top 10 will that still be counted? It is not that I would do that it would just be unfair if people did do that

Just a thought if people vote for their own in the top 10 will that still be counted? It is not that I would do that it would just be unfair if people did do that

the point is that everyone can vote. that is the thing about web 2.0, it is completely democratic. And I suppose it is much like politics: the person with either the best product (images/ideas) and/or who is able to motivate the most number of people to vote for them takes home the cake.

By way of example, I could go on to Wikipedia and make a killer page saying that I am the worlds greatest birder. If, however, enough people see it, they will know it is complete rubbish and correct the content until something closer to the truth is reflected in the article (assuming they don't just delete it). The same will happen with DOY - the democracy of the masses.

So, go ahead, vote for yourself if you think your photos deserve to be in the top ten. And get all your friends to vote too.

p.s. the public vote does not replace the judges' votes, but is added to it. Doing well in the public voting means that you will then have an increased chance of landing in the final top ten, but does not ensure it.

Happy digiscoping,
Dale

Paul, I think you have a very good point there. My impression over the last few years has been that Spain is almost certainly the leading country for digiscoping - their innovativeness, creativeness and expression appears to be steps ahead of anywhere else I have come across. We hear very little about them on the (English) international sites, simply because they are (understandably) more keen to communicate in their mother tongue.

Paul, I think you have a very good point there. My impression over the last few years has been that Spain is almost certainly the leading country for digiscoping - their innovativeness, creativeness and expression appears to be steps ahead of anywhere else I have come across. We hear very little about them on the (English) international sites, simply because they are (understandably) more keen to communicate in their mother tongue.

Totally agree Dale, in fact most of my top ten votes for images were 'of Spanish' origin, they seem to have taken it to another level! A very high standard of images submitted this year.

Congrats to Paul.

Last edited:

Dale

i dont think for one minute its the points you raise in all honesty, i do think it is the amount of sunshine and the amazing choice of birds they have there, plus the colours are very bright and vivid with their birds, something that to me draws you in. I do try and go over to Spain at least once a year to digiscope

I do sign up for one of their forums and have contributed on it. Their choice of kit is much more photo adapter /DSLR than the DSLR/lens attached to the eyepiece in the US in the festivals i have attended over the years in Spain

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back