• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping setup and usability question (1 Viewer)

wokka

Good afternoon,

I currently have a Kowa 773, with an iphone 8 kowa digiscope adapter. I mainly use the setup for taking record shots to help with identification of distant waders. But also take photos closer in.

I have a Sony RX 100 V and have a few questions from compact camera digiscope users about usability over my current setup.

1. Best adapter? I'm leaning towards a Digidapter.

2. Will the Rx 100 V be a good camera for digiscoping? Will i get a better pic than iPhone at distance?

3. Using a digidapter, can you zoom in with the scope without having to reposition the camera?

4. I've used the iPhone adapter at 96x zoom on the scope. Would this be possible with the RX 100 V?

5. Do you have to use the camera in manual focus or can you still use the camera focussing?

Any tips or advice would be very welcome.

Cheers

Pete

Good afternoon,

I currently have a Kowa 773, with an iphone 8 kowa digiscope adapter. I mainly use the setup for taking record shots to help with identification of distant waders. But also take photos closer in.

I have a Sony RX 100 V and have a few questions from compact camera digiscope users about usability over my current setup.

1. Best adapter? I'm leaning towards a Digidapter.

2. Will the Rx 100 V be a good camera for digiscoping? Will i get a better pic than iPhone at distance?

3. Using a digidapter, can you zoom in with the scope without having to reposition the camera?

4. I've used the iPhone adapter at 96x zoom on the scope. Would this be possible with the RX 100 V?

5. Do you have to use the camera in manual focus or can you still use the camera focussing?

Any tips or advice would be very welcome.

Cheers

Pete

Pete take a look at my blog below as I have been digiscoping for years and you have quite a few questions. But the RX100 series is a fine camera the will work well with the KOW 773. The key is eliminating vignetting. You can do this fairly easy with an adapter. I know that KOWA brands sells their own adapter I know nothing about it. But I do have the digidapter as you were / are looking into. It is high quality. I like it because you can focus the scope and then attach the adapter and just take a shot. If done correctly and if you follow the directions on how to set your camera/adapter up, you shouldn't have issues with vignetting.

I would keep the zoom at 20-25. No more..... The more zoom you use, the less light you will have coming into the scope and that is not good with digiscoping. You will get close enough with 20-25 zoom. You also have the 0-5 optic zoom on the camera you will use to get a bit closer. No more than 5 optic zoom is suggested.

As a comparison....if I have my 400mm scope with a crop factor of 1.4, my range is 560mm. I see many people with nice camera/lens set up with 500 or 600 lens. Nice but expensive. But if you use your scope on 20 zoom, you are looking at 20 x 50 which is 1000mm comparison zoom. At 25 zoom, I am at 1250mm. That is more than a camera + lens. Granted, under 20 yards or so, my 400mm easily takes better pics and I can't respond to how a 500, or 600mm lens will do. But at longer shots my scope is better then my Canon + 400mm lens. good luck

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back