• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Digiscoping startup (1 Viewer)

Tiger1

On a holiday in UK we noticed lots of people digiscoping. It does not seem to have caught on to the same extent here in Australia. Having read some of the posts it sounds rather complicated but I would like to have a shot at it.
I have a Kowa TSN 821M with an angled 60x zoom eyepiece. What adaptor would I need and preferably a relatively economically priced camera. I already have a Canon SX10 IS and a Fuji Finepix but have been told they will not be suitable. As I said in my first post, something like 'The Idiots Guide To Digiscoping' would be good.
Any hints gratefully received.

Tiger1

dannat

whilst i have not seen that eyepiece Kowa's website does not mention it is threaded (someone lese may knwo different) - in this case you simply but the camera up against the eyepiece with the use of a support bracket (which are inexpensive)
If it is threaded you will require a camera has is able to attach to a trheaded adapter (such as a d-slr with removable les or other camera with threads) - you then purchase an adapter ring which goes from one thread (eyepiece) to your camera..you may/may not need extension tube to reach focus.

NB the kowa model you describe does not have ED glass..which will make getting great pics a little more difficult

Dale Forbes

SWAROVSKI OPTIK Austria
On a holiday in UK we noticed lots of people digiscoping. It does not seem to have caught on to the same extent here in Australia. Having read some of the posts it sounds rather complicated but I would like to have a shot at it.
I have a Kowa TSN 821M with an angled 60x zoom eyepiece. What adaptor would I need and preferably a relatively economically priced camera. I already have a Canon SX10 IS and a Fuji Finepix but have been told they will not be suitable. As I said in my first post, something like 'The Idiots Guide To Digiscoping' would be good.
Any hints gratefully received.

Tiger1

Hi Tiger,

We have tons of info (and videos) on our digiscoping website which is likely to be of use to you.

If you have any specific questions, this forum would be a good place to ask.

Happy birding,
Dale

Neil

Welcome to the Forum Tiger1.
I started serious digiscoping with the 821M using the old Nikon Coolpix 990 and 4500. The scope is ok at short to medium distance ( 8 - 40 metres) in good light and solid backgrounds ( has fringing against the sky and doesn't handle heat haze well ).
Any of the newer 3x zoom digicams should be ok ( 35 - 105 mm ), Canon is a good place to start looking. Have a look through the threads here for suggested/tested cameras.
If you do a search on your scope in the forums you will see photos taken with it.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread