• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping - T Mount advice (1 Viewer)

towliff

Hi all,

I have the MM4 60mm with SDLv2 eyepiece. I want to connect up my Sony camera but have no idea what t mount I need to use.

I have a Sony NEX 5 camera, which has interchangeable lenses of the Sony E-mount style.

It looks like I need part 4114 photo adapter for SDL eyepiece.

I will also need a relevant T mount to connect my camera to the photo adaptor. Here is where I don’t know which t mount or how it connects. From the pictures on the opticron website I can’t see how they connect to the camera or which one I will need.

please can you offer any advice?

Are any T mounts able to be used with compact cameras? I also have a Sony RX100 M4 camera which I might want to connect. Again I have the same problem of not seeing how it connects to the camera from the images.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks,

james

No idea about your Nex dilemma (I'm a Fuji man myself) but the RX100 IV is a fixed-lens camera whose lens extends when zooming, so you will probably find that this will not work with a t-dapter at all.

Hi James - the part you need for the NEX 5 is this:

T Mount - Sony Mirrorless CSC | Opticron

Please note that you need to remove the lens from the camera and thus you will be in fully manual mode when shooting through the scope.

For the RX100, Opticron don't have a solution and the lens aperture is such that if you did find a 3rd party/universal mount/bracket for it, the picture would be a tiny circle surrounded by a lot of black (vignetting)! Not a recommended option.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Marvellous!! Thank you very much for the feedback :)

my partner just put in the order for the t mount and SDL adaptor.

I hope to use this to image the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter later this month :)

Hi all,

I have the MM4 60mm with SDLv2 eyepiece. I want to connect up my Sony camera but have no idea what t mount I need to use.

I have a Sony NEX 5 camera, which has interchangeable lenses of the Sony E-mount style.

It looks like I need part 4114 photo adapter for SDL eyepiece.

I will also need a relevant T mount to connect my camera to the photo adaptor. Here is where I don’t know which t mount or how it connects. From the pictures on the opticron website I can’t see how they connect to the camera or which one I will need.

please can you offer any advice?

Are any T mounts able to be used with compact cameras? I also have a Sony RX100 M4 camera which I might want to connect. Again I have the same problem of not seeing how it connects to the camera from the images.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks,

james
The Sony RX100 system can have a filter thread fitted to the front on the barrel via a stick-on adapter. The leading brand in the US is lensmate, but I assume generic ones are also out there. I haven't tried it so don't know what the results would be though.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back