• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Canon EOS10D (1 Viewer)

Axis

Axis
I am new to digiscoping. I have a Canon EOS10D. I have a canon zoom lens EF 28-105mm (58mm).
I have been scanning various sites & have seen mounts\adaptors etc.
I have not bought a scope yet but am looking. Is there anyone out there with the perfect scope & mounting technique for this camera. Have looked at various but need advise.
Can anyone help??

Axis said:
I am new to digiscoping. I have a Canon EOS10D. I have a canon zoom lens EF 28-105mm (58mm).
I have been scanning various sites & have seen mounts\adaptors etc.
I have not bought a scope yet but am looking. Is there anyone out there with the perfect scope & mounting technique for this camera. Have looked at various but need advise.
Can anyone help??

Hello Axis,
I have just bought a Canon 350d and i have a Leica APO Televid
i hope someone replies to you regarding this because i am looking for the answer also.

Regards
Ian
N. Staffs

Only reason to buy a telescope is to use it for bird watching. You already own a dslr. Use your money to buy a long lense for your camera and you will get far better pictures. I used to digiscope with some sucess, but dropped it as soon as I could afford a dslr and a long lens. You will spare yourself for a lot of frustrations if you do the same

Jens.

jenygard said:
Only reason to buy a telescope is to use it for bird watching. You already own a dslr. Use your money to buy a long lense for your camera and you will get far better pictures. I used to digiscope with some sucess, but dropped it as soon as I could afford a dslr and a long lens. You will spare yourself for a lot of frustrations if you do the same

Jens.

Jens, Interesting, i have looked at the price of DSLR "Long Lenses"
The cost is out of this world, more than a APO 77 Televid
And although the results on near objects would be better
what about real far off shots ?
I use my scope for long distance viewing most of the time
not always on birds a couple of hundred metres away.
I did not buy the scope just for birdwatching it has many other uses
So i would like to use my Canon 350d with the scope for these shots
In my case it's comes down to using what you have, and i have a perfectly good camera and an excellent scope.

The situation is of course completely different for those that already own a good telescope. By long lense I ment lenses in the range 300 - 400 mm, F-stop 4.0 - 5.6, possibly with extenders 1.4 or 2.0. F. ex. a 400 mm with extender that doubles that give you 800 mm that is about 26 times enlargement with a dslr (1.6 factor). The result will be much better and the price is equivalent with a new APO 77 Televid.

I have bought a 50 mm for my Canon EOS 20D to take an occasional handheld shot through my Svarowski telescope, but I think that will be all. It seems to be tough to get the big dslr cameras to fit the telescopes. It is better to use your time on a bit closer birds and get decent results. The best digiscoped pictures are usually taken at the closest possible distances, anyway. At longer distances air will degrade the picture too much. Take a look at my gallery, to see both digiscoped and dslr pictures.

My conclusion: If you own top quality telescope and have no dslr, try digiscoping with compact camera, if you own a dslr, but have no telescope, buy a long lens.

Jens.

dxchaser said:
Jens, Interesting, i have looked at the price of DSLR "Long Lenses"
The cost is out of this world, more than a APO 77 Televid
And although the results on near objects would be better
what about real far off shots ?
I use my scope for long distance viewing most of the time
not always on birds a couple of hundred metres away.
I did not buy the scope just for birdwatching it has many other uses
So i would like to use my Canon 350d with the scope for these shots
In my case it's comes down to using what you have, and i have a perfectly good camera and an excellent scope.

Thanks for the advise-I may try a convertor with my 75-300mm lens .May be the answer I,m looking for. I Still need a scope for my bird watching interests-any ideas?

Convertors do their best on prime lenses, but I think still better results with a zoom than any digiscoping outfit.

I own a Svarowski ST80HD scope, and have no experience with other scopes. Take a look in the Scopes forum here at Birdforum.

Jens.

Axis said:
Thanks for the advise-I may try a convertor with my 75-300mm lens .May be the answer I,m looking for. I Still need a scope for my bird watching interests-any ideas?

What Jenygard is saying makes absolute sense and is indeed the accepted wisdom on the subject. However, check out the gallery of Faísca Sparky (click here) which seems to show the potential of a DSLR / scope combination. If only I could figure out how it were done!

jenygard said:
The situation is of course completely different for those that already own a good telescope. By long lense I ment lenses in the range 300 - 400 mm, F-stop 4.0 - 5.6, possibly with extenders 1.4 or 2.0. F. ex. a 400 mm with extender that doubles that give you 800 mm that is about 26 times enlargement with a dslr (1.6 factor). The result will be much better and the price is equivalent with a new APO 77 Televid.

I have bought a 50 mm for my Canon EOS 20D to take an occasional handheld shot through my Svarowski telescope, but I think that will be all. It seems to be tough to get the big dslr cameras to fit the telescopes. It is better to use your time on a bit closer birds and get decent results. The best digiscoped pictures are usually taken at the closest possible distances, anyway. At longer distances air will degrade the picture too much. Take a look at my gallery, to see both digiscoped and dslr pictures.

My conclusion: If you own top quality telescope and have no dslr, try digiscoping with compact camera, if you own a dslr, but have no telescope, buy a long lens.

Jens.

SeanKP said:
What Jenygard is saying makes absolute sense and is indeed the accepted wisdom on the subject. However, check out the gallery of Faísca Sparky (click here) which seems to show the potential of a DSLR / scope combination. If only I could figure out how it were done!
Sean Check out the link posted by Ben,
There are a few options to consider !

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back