• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Digiscoping with Kowa 883 (1 Viewer)

jkingrph

Hi,

the 500AH does not take Arca Swiss plates... and comes with a quite usable long plate (120mm iirc) which is normally able to properly balance your scope.

Of course other lengths are available from Manfrotto and 3rd parties.

Joachim
I took my 500AH, made and adapter/spacer and put one of the Manfrotto 323 connect adapter that uses the small 200pl plates. I did this so I could use the much smaller 323 connector than a much larger one on a couple of specialty scope stands, that actually clamp to a shooting bench. The work fine, I used some 1/2 " aluminum bar, 3/8 would have been fine. I just needed a spacer to clear the QD lock on the 323 connector which extends down below the mounting surface a little. It took some careful measuring, drilling a few holes of various sizes and tapping some of them for screws. I even drilled and tapped for a small allen screw that functions as an anti rotation lug. Another reason I wanted the smaller plate was so I could leave one on my Nikon digital camera, the 500AH plate was just too large and cumbersome on what is an average size for a SLR type camera.

Users who are viewing this thread