• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Panasonic GH2 & 25mm Lens (2 Viewers)

Grundy

I have been using the Panasonic GH2 for some time with a Swarovski ATS 80 HD spotting scope. The 20X 30X 45X & 20-60 Zoom eyepieces all work very well but with different degrees of vignetting. The normal problem is being able to get good quality sharp pictures at longer distances over 20M. The EX TELE CON I find very useful.

One of the best Panasonic lenses that I have used is the 14mm f2.5 which is completely internal focus. More difficult to use is the 20mm f1.7.

So when Panasonic announced the 25mm H-X025 f1.4 lens I was very interested to see if I could use it with the 20X Eyepiece & still obtain autofocus.

These are some of my first results:

The Kingfisher was taken at Lackford Lakes 20-25m distance

Munkjak again at Lackford Lakes 30 & 70M

Great Crested Grebe Weybred Pits 40M

In each case I used the EX TELE CON.

The scope was tripod mounted with a balance bar & Digital Camera Bracket (DCB)

Last edited:
Gruny can you tell me how ou connect the lens to ep, what adapter do you use?

good question, i was going to ask about this.

if you can Gruny post a shot demonstrating how the camera is attached to the scope.

thanks so much.

great shots BTW.

The adapter for the 20X Eyepiece

The adapter is made from the Swarovski Eyepiece screw on eye cup.

The eye cup consists of two parts 1) The outer part which you remove the eye cup rubber, & knock out the two pins that retain to the inner part. 2) The inner screw on part which you do not need for this adapter

Having removed the rubber add a 46mm extension ring to the outer part as shown. You may need to adjust the diameter so you get a snug fit. Add some insulation tape to the outer part so it is a slide fit with the eyepiece. The end of the 46mm male thread needs to be flush with the end of the eyepiece.

Don't forget that the inner screw on part has to be removed so that you can achieve a close fit to the lens.

Thanks for your interest. I hope that the attached pictures help.

Last edited:
The adapter is made from the Swarovski Eyepiece screw on eye cup.

The eye cup consists of two parts 1) The outer part which you remove the eye cup rubber, & knock out the two pins that retain to the inner part. 2) The inner screw on part which you do not need for this adapter

Having removed the rubber add a 46mm extension ring to the outer part as shown. You may need to adjust the diameter so you get a snug fit. Add some insulation tape to the outer part so it is a slide fit with the eyepiece. The end of the 46mm male thread needs to be flush with the end of the eyepiece.

Don't forget that the inner screw on part has to be removed so that you can achieve a close fit to the lens.

Thanks for your interest. I hope that the attached pictures help.

I like this a lot. Very nice work.
I'll make one for my bins.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back