• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dippers in Derbyshire (1 Viewer)

AndrewA

Hi

Can anybody tell me if I stand a reasonable chance of seeing Dippers in the Matlock / Bakewell areas of Derbyshire.

Does anybody know of any rivers / streams that offer a good chance in this area?

I only have 1 day to visit so any info on good spots would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks
Andrew

Should be guaranteed Andrew. Below the bridge in Matlock town centre used to be a good spot, though I haven't looked this year. I saw a pair at Darley Dale a month or so ago also. Anywhere on the Derwent between the 2 towns should produce, failing that there are several pairs at Cromford ( 3 miles south of Matlock). Lathkill Dale/ Bradford Dale also used to be excellent, but again I have not been recently.

Last edited:
As Clive has already mentioned, Cromford is pretty much nailed on to see Dippers. If you're heading south on the A6. When you get to the main junction at Cromford with the little Cafe on your left turn left and follow the road down until you come to Matlock Rugby Club. Turn in to the Rugby Club (it's ok to park here), and as soon as you go in there's a bridge on your left about 100 yards away or so. Park up and walk down there and you should be ok for Dippers.

Dave, Clive

Thanks so much for the excellent responses. Unfortunately I'll only have one day available but fingers crossed with your recommendations I might get lucky.

Rgds
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back