• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Disappeared features? (1 Viewer)

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
A few useful features seem to have disappeared?
1 - there used to be a little black arrow at the right hand end of forum sections, which you could click to collapse / hide that section if you weren't interested in it (e.g. I had the whole optics section collapsed)
2 - the leaf at the left end of each section used to act (by double-clicking on the leaf) as 'Mark this section read'; now one has to go into the section to do so. Can the shortcut be restored?
3 - a lot of the best smilies have gone, like :storm: and :-C and :t: - can we have them back please!

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
4 - 'the 'Search this thread' has gone (where one could search just the single thread you were in, rather than the whole site)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
4 - 'the 'Search this thread' has gone (where one could search just the single thread you were in, rather than the whole site)
If you click the Magnifying Glass at the top, then next to the search box is says "Everywhere", click that and you get your options, one of which is This Thread

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
Think we lost the BF supporter badges, although details show in profiles.

Nick Tonge

There used to be a neat link to go straight to the first unread post in each thread. I can't seem to find it now (I may be overlooking it). The "Jump to new" doesn't seem to work in the same way (plus you have to open the thread first to see it). Has anyone else found it?

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
There used to be a neat link to go straight to the first unread post in each thread. I can't seem to find it now (I may be overlooking it). The "Jump to new" doesn't seem to work in the same way (plus you have to open the thread first to see it). Has anyone else found it?
I was looking for that as well. It seems like it does it automatically. If you click on a thread it takes you to the first unread post in that thread. If there are no unread posts it takes you to the first page.

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
There used to be a marker showing which threads I've posted in, but that doesn't seem to be there now.

Chris G6 UXU

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
England
Where have the BF badges gone, and why does our post count 'not' go up when we have commented on a photo ?

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
Has Birdforum no longer a "home page" and script stating it is primarily for wild birds and nature? And forum guidelines and rules seem much reduced. Thank you, I'm slowly navigating around the new update and look.

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this elsewhere, but I used to find the post count a useful feature to be present just below the user's avatar: it enabled me to know if this would be the first post from someone, which is sometimes relevant info to have (at the minimum it allowed the person to be greeted).

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
Supporter
United States
I totally agree with Rafael. It is good to know when someone is a new poster in the identification branch.

Users who are viewing this thread