• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappointing Leica Repair (1 Viewer)

I would have opened up something like a small claims case against the parent company by now ; seeking damages / compensation for their unreasonable behaviour, delays and confusing excuses, stalling tactics etc. Given you have and can show the various correspondences to prove their poor attitude towards your initial request for repair, I doubt Leica would contest the hearing. May not be what you wish to do but they have messed you around whilst displaying a very poor level of customer service.
Here in the UK, this system doesn't cost a lot to commence and does regularly obtain favourable results for the claimant.

Well, we have been up and we have been down since the last update.
Last Tuesday, 1/31 my contact at Leica emailed me to inform me that "your original Trinovid are now complete and can be shipped back!"
He was also still offering me the HDs and asked me what I wanted to do.
I replied 34 minutes later informing him that I wanted my Trinovid BNs back as soon as possible and thanked him very much for persevering through this difficult repair.
I haven't heard from him since. I have emailed him three or four times since then and I have not received my binoculars. Total radio silence.
Well? Did you ever receive them? They were supposedly done and ready to ship two weeks ago.

Q, what repair did your BN need that would have required unusual parts? Our 10x32 just needs to have its diopter readjusted, but perhaps this isn't the best time to send it in. Has anyone had better experience in the last year? I had good service from Leica NJ once before, but they moved to a new location last fall and may have lost experienced staff.

Well? Did you ever receive them? They were supposedly done and ready to ship two weeks ago.
No. I have not received them.
Q, what repair did your BN need that would have required unusual parts? Our 10x32 just needs to have its diopter readjusted, but perhaps this isn't the best time to send it in. Has anyone had better experience in the last year? I had good service from Leica NJ once before, but they moved to a new location last fall and may have lost experienced staff.
I don't know what was broken internally, but it had to do with the focus. The focus was very messed up. It had probably 15° of slop, and then was very tight beyond that.
Also, they needed to be recollimated.

Yes Leica service was great (had a few glass serviced BNs and a BR) up to about a year ago, but since the customer service and parts rep moved on, it has become sort of like the old leica.

Tenex I had service on a few BN binoculars and an Ultravid BR binocular within ~ 1.5 years and everything went extremely well. There have been shifts in the Customer service dept and the parts /tech service dept as of late with their latest move to another location. I have found communication lacking as of late that is all, sort of what it was like for me at least, over three years ago.

I have a pair of BNs in for service right now. So far, comms has been great. Will update after I get them back.

Since two weeks ago when I was told that my binoculars were repaired and ready to be shipped I have emailed a few times. Today I got this response:

"Unfortunately, we are experiencing issues with your repair being closed out. There is a problem with our computer system, that will not allow us to ship your repair. Our IT department is working on fixing this issue."

At least that's honest and informative. I wonder whether this happened because your BN was there during the change of facilities (and possibly software). Still you'd think a supervisor with some common sense could override it to help a customer.

IT issues have also created incredible problems for Swarovski lately.

At least that's honest and informative.
One would really hope the first part of the statement is truthful. Unfortunately I see it as yet another stalling excuse [ I hope I am soon proved wrong ] and concur that someone in higher authority could bypass or even undertake to personally get this unit back to the owner. Even if it meant handwriting a covering letter and making notes to be entered into the IT system at a later date.

Last edited:
Since two weeks ago when I was told that my binoculars were repaired and ready to be shipped I have emailed a few times. Today I got this response:

"Unfortunately, we are experiencing issues with your repair being closed out. There is a problem with our computer system, that will not allow us to ship your repair. Our IT department is working on fixing this issue."
That sounds fishy to me. They should just send you a new Ultravid with a big apology.

That sounds fishy to me. They should just send you a new Ultravid with a big apology.

Let's hope the OP's classic BN 8x32 is temporarily misplaced and will be found. Meantime they are bobbing, weaving, slipping and pivoting until they can find it. I had a similar experience several years ago with a repair of my 8x20 UV BR. A 16 to 18 month wait and lots of "explanations" in the interim. That said when I got the repaired bin it came with one of those fitted leather hard clamshell cases free of charge which were very expensive at the time and are now unobtanium.

Mike

SUCCESS!
I just received my BNs in the mail. At first blush, they appear to be in perfect working condition.
It was a very long process, but ultimately Leica USA came through. They have repaired my binoculars at no cost to me, despite surely being out of warranty.
I haven't had a chance to really use them yet, but have done a quick inspection. All moving parts are functioning smoothly. They are very clean internally and externally. And they appear to be in perfect collimation.

SUCCESS!
I just received my BNs in the mail. At first blush, they appear to be in perfect working condition.
It was a very long process, but ultimately Leica USA came through. They have repaired my binoculars at no cost to me, despite surely being out of warranty.
I haven't had a chance to really use them yet, but have done a quick inspection. All moving parts are functioning smoothly. They are very clean internally and externally. And they appear to be in perfect collimation.
Good to hear, would be nice to see some pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back