• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DisneyWorld in May (1 Viewer)

TomCee

i will be visiting DW in May this year ,been before on vacation but earlier in the year ,any advice on weather temps etc. and what birds may be available , staying on Disney so park information most welcome.

The park and its surrounds produce lots of birds without going far.
If you get an early morning Thurs - Sun, a visit to Gatorland is well worth the $20. It opens at the far end away from the Gators head at 7.30 and you will be amazed by the amount of birds that are within 3 feet, along with their new born offspring, plus the gators are breeding and that is a noisy but spectacular event. You don't get access to the whole park but very worthwhile.
Expect it to be around 80 most days.
I'm also there early May. Do enjoy

I started a thread for our last trip at Easter 2010 here - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=164261 - which was full of brilliant pointers.

If you have transport, a trip to Merritt Island or Boggey Creek is well worth it.

You may also find the attached check list useful, which I downloaded from a site I unfortunately can't remember.

Enjoy your trip,

Richard

Attachments

• DisneyBirdChecklist.doc
    24 KB · Views: 54
The afformentioned are all good tips...Merritt Island if you have transport and don't mind taking a 30-40 minute drive...Gatorland is close...and you might try Lake Toho as well for possible eagle sightings. On Disney grounds, there are a few places to reliably find birds...there is a nice path running through the forest between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Campground...the grounds of Saratoga Springs from the Treehouse Villas on one end, to the walkway from Congress Park to Marketplace on the other, are filled with trees, near water, and always has a good diversity of water birds and tree birds. The boat from Marketplace to Port Orleans goes through narrow canals with lots of water birds. And the pathway from Boardwalk Resort to Disney's Hollywood Studios is about 3/4 mile, and follows a waterway on one side and lots of trees along the other. Even within the theme parks, you will always reliably find birds, especially egrets, herons, cormorants, grebes, ibis, and various ducks.

As for temps, I'd amend the above - by May, you're more likely going to see temps in the UPPER 80s and quite possibly 90s. The past 3 years have been progressively hotter and for much longer than ever before in Florida history - while most of the US and Europe has been walloped by cold winters, we've had 3 of the warmest winters on record in our state's history for the past 3 years...by April, we're deep into the upper 80s and water temps have moved up to 84-86 degrees. May, the humidity returns full-force, usually in the mid-80% range...so it's sweat-city. Drink lots of water!

If you have transport and you are coming in May, I suggest Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area and Lake Kissimmee State Park for Bachman's Sparrow, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Florida Scrub-Jay, Wild Turkey, Crested Caracara, Brown-headed Nuthatch, and other central Florida goodies.

You really don't have to target herons/egrets specifically -- they are all over the place as is!

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back