• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Display glitch, and requests (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
(From my posts in the "Welcome to new site" thread, before I saw this section was here)

*** If a message has an attachment, nothing else after that on the page will display, just blank for a very long way down, and the scroll bar gets weird. (I've had to stop reading the forum temporarily because I'll lose my place in threads if I keep hitting this)

How do I tell how full my mailbox is?
The default for "Stay logged in" should be NO unless I've previously said YES.
Colored letters for people without avatars are ugly and distracting, should be just blank, or a light-grey circle.

Edit: Also in message compose, when I click "toggle BBcode" for the old-style display, there are some glitches with cursor position, and it's impossible to mark a block.
And how do I return to the position of a post to continue reading, after setting it up as a quote in the reply below?

Last edited:

tenex

reality-based

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Tenex - that doesn’t seem to happen to me - (I’m using safari on an Ipad) after the post with the image attached, I can see all the subsequent posts on the thread with no problem - have you got a cookie disabled or ad blocker or something stopping the images from loading properly (or quickly)
No body has had any issues in the ID threads with this AFAIAA.

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
Similar problem as above. Particularly in Bird ID thread.

Windows XP 32 bit. and Firefox.

Thanks Ollie

1606074803278.png

tenex

reality-based
Also using XP and Firefox. (I know, I know...) Might want to ask PeterPS about his setup, IIRC he noted the problem first in the "Welcome" thread.
[Ah, it's SeaMonkey which is also derived from Firefox]

Last edited:

tenex

reality-based
I now have a solution for this display bug.

I explored a bit with the Domain Inspector, toggled a couple of properties and got a proper display. I've added the following to Firefox's UserContent.css file:
@-moz-document domain("birdforum.net") {.attachmentList .file {height: 150px !important; padding-bottom: 0 !important;}}

Now there is no further problem. For Ollie's reference, those two values were previously showing "auto", and "100%", presumably the result of some error in the BBS code. The attachment image collapsed and the padding below it blew up. If this isn't actually going to get fixed, users will need this workaround.

Note: If you haven't used your own CSS before, you'll have to create a new UserContent.css file (it doesn't exist by default). Check the Mozilla knowledge base for what directory it must go in, as that varies with version and OS.

Last edited:

tenex

reality-based
Colored letters for people without avatars are ugly and distracting, should be just blank, or a light-grey circle.
So while we're playing with CSS in Firefox, here's how to accomplish this also. (Nice, isn't it?)
.avatar--default {color: #EEE !important; background-color: #EEE !important;}

Last edited:

tenex

reality-based
I don't like having a blue background on alternate posts, it just makes them harder to read.
And here's how to fix that too, all posts black text on a white background:
.message-cell--main {background-color: #FFF !important;}

I think that takes care of all my requests.

Users who are viewing this thread