• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Distant bird in flight - Southeastern Massachusetts (1 Viewer)

Hi, this appears to me to be a common nighthawk with the white bar on its wings. It looks a little plump and short tailed though for that, but that could be the angle of the photo. Also, the wings do not seem pointed at all. Glad to be corrected though:)
steve

Last edited:
Possibly red-shouldered hawk, given the shape and position of the (apparent) pale patch across the primaries - though I wouldn't expect it to look like this in such a view. I can't see a nighthawk looking like this. But photos lie.

Crescents too strong for RSH. I'm on a very small screen but it looks like a Northern mockingbird from here.

Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable. Far more useful to know how it flew, behaved, etc.

Somehow I can't see that bird being a woodpecker, the shape seems way off. Ditto for Common Nighthawk. Northern Mockingbird seems like the best fit imo.

The tail is too short for mockingbird and the wings are too broad, short, and rounded for nighthawk. It looks like a Red-bellied Woodpecker to me.

Definitely the wrong proportions for a nighthawk. Hard to be confident in tail length for this photo but that looks like another point in favor of woodpecker. I've also been reviewing a bunch of photos and I think you're more likely to see the spread "fingers" like we do here on a woodpecker than on a mockingbird.

The tail is too short for mockingbird
I thought that too at first, but I think it appears that way because the bird is angled away. It seems to match the flying Mockingbird photo from Macaulay posted above. The jizz seems off to me for Red-bellied Woodpecker, but then again my brain could be off;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back