• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY Stay on Case for Nikon ED78 (1 Viewer)

David M O

Having failed to find one for my ED78 Fieldscope I had a go at making one from a sheet of neoprene. Various features of the geometry of the scope, not least the offset eyepiece made it an interesting challenge. I managed to work it out eventually and have a one-piece case that covers the scopes far as the objective lens and eyepiece. The focussing wheel is covered by a flap that overlaps the case either side. I thought I'd share the details here in case anyone else wants to make the same. Note, the outline of the case is very slightly distorted where it has stretched a bit in use (the edge at the eyepiece end started out straight for example) - but it gives you a basic geometry that works. It's held together with velcro strips. The cable ties are not required - they're my 'sights'.
IMG_4732.jpgIMG_1042.jpgIMG_4737.jpgIMG_4105.jpg

Nice work! I wonder how many of us regular users of the Nikon 78ED are lurking on BirdForum. The 78ED was never popular where I'm from, so I've never seen another in the field. I like your solution. Mine has been to wrap the scope with several layers of McNett/GearAid Camo Form wrap.

--AP

The only other one I have seen was in 1995/6. I was standing next to a guy while we watched an Orang Utan in a tree across a river valley from us. Through my binoculars I could make out an orange object. Through his Fieldscope I could see the animal place figs in its mouth. Needless to say, I was sold and bought one at the first opportunity in 1996. I’ve never regretted it.

Nice work! I wonder how many of us regular users of the Nikon 78ED are lurking on BirdForum. The 78ED was never popular where I'm from, so I've never seen another in the field. I like your solution. Mine has been to wrap the scope with several layers of McNett/GearAid Camo Form wrap.

--AP
I'm using a Nikon 78ED, it's a perfect field scope to me!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back