• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Canon ever take on board suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
I'm sure I'm not the only one here that finds it exceptionally annoying when the command dial has moved accidentally and I'm in Tv mode or something equally useless when a great opportunity suddenly arises. :C

I'm sure it wouldn't take much to include a simple little switch next to the command dial that would lock it and stop it from moving. Now that is a feature I'd like to see on a DSLR instead of the gimicky crap that usually counts as an upgrade! I'm thinking of resorting to sellotape as it really does cost me photos, happened an awful lot in Scotland when I'd quickly take the camera out the bag to get a shot of something from the car.

If anyone from Canon reads this (snowball and hell spring to mind ;) ), help us out please!!!! Otherwise, is there an online suggestion box? 3:)

Cheers everyone. B :)

I do agree with what you are saying, it happens to me only in the camera bag when taking out or putting it away, but now before I use it I do a quick check that everything is as I like it before I start.

I very much doubt that they would accept submissions of idea, very few large companies will - if they do not then it stops you being able to try and claim money from them if your idea is then used.... who knows they may be working on it already.

I used to find this very annoying too, but have recently got a 1D mkII, to atler mode you have to depress a button and turn a dial at the same time, saves moving it by mistake...

I did the excact same thing last week at Minsmere when a Dragonfly I've never seen before landed for all of two seconds:C:-C

The only Canon I've used that had that feature was the EOS-5 which has a push-button you had to hold down while you changed the setting...

I guess that is one of the benefits (maybe the only benefit) of my 1DsII's clunky user interface where one has to press one or two buttons to change settings.

I have an 450 and love the camera,....but have to always look at that Dial....Av mode or TV or movie or manual mode? It does manage to drift to those..... Many times I find myself taking a first shot and realizing it is in the wrong mode..bugger for me. But I have learned to adjust as we all have. Still love the camera

Happens to the Nikon D70 also. Not very often, unfortunately (or fortunately, however you want to look at it) so it's easy to get out of the habit of checking before wasting a lot of shots. Very irritating.

I don't recall it ever happening on my 20D

Happened to me only yesterday with my 40D. I was walking through the woods, and a White-throated Sparrow landed a few meters away. Not much time to think, and certainly none to check the camera. I was very happy that I managed to get a few shots - until I realized that the camera was on M mode! Well, this on was the best. Good enough for ID had it been in Europe or somewhere similarly way out of the birds range. But not exactly what I had hoped for:-C

Attachments

• _IMG_7192.jpg
    _IMG_7192.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 127
Well I'd say the collective experiences here would certainly warrant some sort of feature like I suggested. Till then though I'm defo going to try the sellotape quick fix. When I next go out that is but that's not likely to be till the wkend at best.

Yeah - mode switching is annoying. But if Luminous Landscape reviews are anything to go by, Canon are very slow on adopting suggestions which even well-known reviewers suggest so I'm guessing us humble users stand little chance.

I always thought sellotape was a standard camera acessory eg for taping pins on teleconverters. Also very handy on my old mobile phone that used to run its battery flat taking videos of the inside of my pocket because of a stupidly designed switch.

I must admit I find this thread a little puzzling - I have never know a command dial to move on its own or even heard it suggested before.
Yes I have shot before when I was in the wrong mode but that was my mistake for not checking. I think I must be missing something here |:S|

I have to agree with Roy, i ALWAYS check before pressing the shutter. There was another thread recently too, about the MF/AF switch on lenses, i couldnt figure out that one either.

I must admit I find this thread a little puzzling - I have never know a command dial to move on its own or even heard it suggested before.
Yes I have shot before when I was in the wrong mode but that was my mistake for not checking. I think I must be missing something here |:S|

I think people mean that when you pull your camera quickly out of its bag you accidentally move the dial. I generally used 'AV' but sometimes I often knocked the dial when I whipped the camera out and it was then set at 'M'. If I was in a hurry to take the shot I wouldn't have time to check and I had some shots ruined as they were hopelessly over/under exposed.

It happened so often I set 'M' to 1/250 at F7.1 as a cover all default for those times when I knocked the dial and forgot to check.

I have to agree with Roy, i ALWAYS check before pressing the shutter.

Maybe it only takes a second, but you must be very fortunate to ALWAYS have time to check - a bird suddenly flying past or similar does not always offer me that extra second to check the dial.

Agree with earlier posters, I too have occasionally had the dial move when either bringing it out of the bag or even simply when carrying it and my arm or something has brushed the camera.

I dont use a bag, maybe thats the cause. If a camera is in a bag and a bird flies past, then how do you have time to take it out of the bag but not the time to check the mode setting ? I often catch the shutter button on my 1D, and fire off 4 or 5 frames of ground when walking, does that mean the shutter button is badly designed, or that it is my fault ? Have people ever tried taking photos with lens caps on, ill bet most have, but is that a bad design, or operator error.

If you read Chuck Westfalls columns, it will become immediately apparent why the public are not involved in inputting information when designing new cameras. Some of the inane comments as to what people want, and what Canon should have done instead of implementing x and y speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back