• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Do foxes dig in gardens? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Hi, a colleague awoke on Monday to find there were holes dug all over her garden. The kind of thing a terrier looking for buried bones would make, according to her description. Up to twelve inches wide and four to five inches deep. We don't have moles (and I think they leave little mounds, rather than holes, if "The Beano" was anything to go by). She says there is no way a dog could have gotten into her garden, so asked me if was a fox. I said I thought it probably was, but I've no idea what it was digging for...maybe worms? Can anyone enlighten me as to what it may have been, and why it was digging?

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
I remember this from my childhood! The consensus then was that they are digging for leatherjackets.

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi

How rural are you. My mum and dad have trouble with badgers digging up their lawn!

Sancho

Hi

How rural are you. My mum and dad have trouble with badgers digging up their lawn!
Thanks Mono and Julie. She lives in a suburb of Dublin. There are badgers in wooded hills nearby, but if foxes can do it, I'd suspect them, as her house is in a housing estate in a fairly busy village (Dalkey).

Andy Adcock

England
Hi

I was tempted to answer 'do Bears **** in the woods' ;) Foxes regularly cache food so will dig to both bury and retrieve their stash. I don't think they routinely dig, just to ruin your lawn, that will probably be an envious neighbour.:t:

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
I know - neither did my mum and dad until it happened to them - they staked out the back garden!

Users who are viewing this thread