• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do hummingbirds sleep during the day? (1 Viewer)

Can somebody let me know if hummingbirds actually sleep during the day? I have seen one that I am sure was sleeping on my feeder. It may have been sick, I don't know?

Well, I guess no one has any information. I was just curious to find out. The bird sat, perched on my feeder, with eyes closed, for over 30 mins. Then, all of a sudden, it flew away. Never seen that before in all my life.

Hi birdman!

Hummingbirds can go into what is called a "torpor" Mostly occurs on cold evenings, but I have seen it during the daytime as well.

You might want to do a google search using the terms "hummingbird torpor" and read up on that.

Hello and thanks! I am aware of the torpor state for sleeping at night and in cold weather. This was in the middle of the day in mid summer??? Guess the little fellow was just needing a rest?

Hi Birdman,

A hummingbird will go into "topor" at night or whenever there is a low abundance of food. Because of their high metabolism while in flight they are just hours from starving at any time. They can only store enough energy to get through the night. However, during the day a hummingbird will rest when not in flight and guard its territory. During these time you can see them shut their eyes and nap. I haven't read any studies about whether this is a "topor" state. They will wake immediately when they detect an interloper and chase it away. I have taken many photos of hummers resting while they watch their cache of food.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve,
this is what I must have seen happening. The bird was "sleeping" for around 30 minutes perched on the feeder. I have one of those new eco friendly feeders that re-uses plastic bottles as the nectar reservoir. It's a great feeder and attracts a lot of bird and I never have to clean the reservoir. I thought that maybe it had to do something with the type of feeder I was using???
Thanks for the information.

Hi,
A few years ago I first watched and filmed one that sat for 20 min. in my yard. It itched and scratched then sat and napped a sec and a half at a time or so, always waking and checking. That was in summer too, perhaps when they have enough reserves to just sit awhile without feeding.
Not as quick to leave when I show up in the morning either when it is so cold out. I will post some 'cool' pics I took two days ago. 'twill send shivers up your spine!

I have a female Ruby-throated that seems to have decided to spend the winter here (instead of at a lower elevation with all the others), probably due to my feeder. She visits the feeder all day long, and spends the rest of her time in a tree out back, catching insects, preening, and resting. She sits immobile for long periods, and based on other comments here must be sleeping at times!

Helen

Well now, I knew I wasn't the only one. It is amazing to see that in broad daylight. I take it your feeder has perches for it to rest on? Did you get any video or pictures of it?

Well now, I knew I wasn't the only one. It is amazing to see that in broad daylight. I take it your feeder has perches for it to rest on? Did you get any video or pictures of it?

OK ! .....only just around the corner.......,,,,,
are the pics
including a couple of the feeder I bought at Canadian Tire (or rather a friend did)
Now I'm hoping to get son to make me a glass one, all glass, I hate the idea of plastic.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=187633

I prefer to use the plastic feeder types. I have had so many of the glass feeders. And, without a doubt, I would break them either by dropping accidentally in the garden or while washing them at the kitchen sink. I gave up on them. Too expensive to have to replace and hard to clean.
I found a unique plastic feeder last year, on line at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website "All About birds",that is eco-friendly in that it re-uses plastic beverage bottles as the nectar reservoir. It has a very easy to clean feeder base, I don't ever have to clean a reservoir bottle (just re-use another plastic bottle when I change out the nectar), and I don't have top worry about it breaking whenever I happen to drop it.
If the nectar is changed every 3 days or so, in my opinion, the re use of plastic bottles are safe for the birds. If humans can drink liquids from them that has been sitting on a shelf for 6-months to a year, I firmly believe that 3 day old (straight sugar and water;1 part sugar to 4 parts water) nectar is perfectly safe. And, from what I have seen by the birds feeding from my feeder, "They Love It!". If anyone is interested in the feeder I use, let me know and I will post the site name for it.
Chirp, Chirp!

Too expensive to have to replace and hard to clean.""

Depends on what your children do then I guess hey? If I can get son to make me one, I'll post it. Something easy to deal with and clean. He is a clever boy as I didn't have any stupid children.... I keep telling them that!

Yes, I do think poly is likely safe for a bird's short little life, unlike the poly we were told was safe for us for how many years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back