• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Do larks ever perch in trees or on fences? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Supporter
I guess this is a bit of a silly question, and one which no one will know the answer to, but in Israel at Ovda I saw a pair of sandy-coloured larks perched on a perimeter fence. Could have been Desert Larks, Bar-tailed Larks, or even a pair of Dunn's Larks.

No one will ever be able to give me that answer, as generally larks are ground-dwelling species, but wondered if people have seen any of these perched up, and if so are any of the species more predisposed to do this?

Scridifer

Supporter
Bulgaria
Can't help with those particular species Nick (sadly!) but I have seen Sky, Wood and Crested Larks on fences, vineyard wires and trees.

Chris

wolfbirder

Supporter
Cheers Chris, I think you are right, I just couldnt recall even seeing those lark species perched up but I must have.

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Have often seen Sky, Wood and Crested larks perched on fences - but not trees come to think of it

opisska

Jan Ebr
Czech Republic
For what it's worth I don't think I have ever seen Desert Larks or their similar friends in any other position than on ground or small stones.

Andrea Collins

Supporter
England
In part of my local patch it seems that Skylarks do quite often perch on bushes and in trees. Not only do they perch there but they also spend some time delivering their song from tree tops and gorse bushes.

The area is a large expanse of sand dunes with rough grassland, lots of gorse and many isolated hawthorns up to about twenty feet in height. Some birds sang from the tree tops for a while then flew upwards to continue singing in a more typical Skylark manner. I hadn't really noticed this before.

wolfbirder

Supporter
My query stems from Ovda, when I had 2 pale sandy larks perched on a perimeter fence.

I do not recall seeing Desert Larks nor Bar-Tailed larks perched, though of course they wouldn't really have to with 90% of territory being desert. I later learnt 2 Dunn's larks were present that day, and I don't know much about this species though they too are primarily ground-dwellers.

I'll never know what they were.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread