• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Red-backed Shrikes imitate other Birds with their Calls? (1 Viewer)

Michael Billerbeck

Germany
Hi Birders,

I am currently taking the time to sight my video material, and I started to create a short video of the calls of the male Red-backed Shrike which I filmed end of May 2019 at a nature reserve in the so-called Lippetal, North-Rine Westfalia, Germany.
He was calling from the bush, and I noticed a little bit further from the middle of the video (the part where the Red-backed Shrike is close) that the Red-backed Shrike seems to imitate tit calls:

Would you agree here, and do Red-backed Shrikes indeed imitate other Birds with their Calls?

Thank you.

Hi Michael,
They certainly do imitate other bird calls very well, as I found to my embarrassment a couple of years ago up in the mountains here when I was convinced I could hear Rock Partridge “ it must be near the Shrike” I recall saying to my wife before realising it was the Shrike all along:oops:.
In your video I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s imitating a specific species, the song is so varied and jumbled it’s not always easy to interpret.

Wow, interesting background experience you had there, @Richard Prior
I understand that a Rock Partridge would have been a great sight though,
and I see that we never stop learning about birds. Thank you.
You’re dead right, I’ve now been birding for 60 years and still discovering (but please don’t mention how a Rock Partridge would be a great sight, it’s a bit of a bogey bird for me to say the least!).

You’re dead right, I’ve now been birding for 60 years and still discovering (but please don’t mention how a Rock Partridge would be a great sight, it’s a bit of a bogey bird for me to say the least!).

Wow, that's many years of experience.
Well, for me it would be because I have never seen one myself.

Anyways, I figured that from 0:26 mins to 0:35 mins he indeed imitates the agitated call of a blue tit like in this video:

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back